Differences between Stihl 046/MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the Service Update from when Stihl went to the "Optimized" cylinder and piston for both 044 and 046. I believe this is the point where the D-shaped combustion chamber cylinder for 046 went away.

Amazingly enough, Stihl rated the newer cylinder and piston as having more power.

Attachments

• TI_44_2000_01_01 046 044.pdf
    107.7 KB · Views: 117
Here's the Service Update from when Stihl went to the "Optimized" cylinder and piston for both 044 and 046. I believe this is the point where the D-shaped combustion chamber cylinder for 046 went away.

Amazingly enough, Stihl rated the newer cylinder and piston as having more power.

Thanks, according to that Service update it looks like they changed them 1-1-00. I found a 046 for sale that the person bought in 2000. It may be either one since it was so close to the change over.

Looks like a fairly good saw. For the $350 its a good deal. check it out -tune it and cut with it.:rock:I modded the muffler on my 460 in order to let it breathe. There's more power & rpms waitin on you.:)

Jacob, what about the 1309 coil for 066mags?

For the Poly flywheel 066s it's a great coil. You have to be careful with that on the metal flywheel saws because it has an aggressive timing curve. I've got one on an early 066 I just built for myself and it rocks,
for a customer it might be an issue because it makes the motor run a little hotter and if someone is cutting in particularly hot conditions or milling, it could cause problems.

The 1309 also has a higher failure rate than other poly flywheel coils so that's a factor as well.

Back