different oak diseases in south east

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cody bi

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am having to write a paper and need some ideas for this paper in my Integrated pest management class. The paper has to be on some type of disease, pest, or pathogen. i was thinking about doing something on things that oak trees in the south east since i am located in the upstate of South Caroline and go to Clemson South Carolina thanks for the help!

Oak Wilt
Sudden Oak Death
Two lined chestnut borer
Cynipid wasp galls
Bacterial leaf scorch
Tubakia leaf spot- particularly burr oak blight variety
Lime induced chlorisis

Few additional thoughts (all of Jason's are good ones...):

I have a book that I can't find online (most USFS stuff is out there) called "Oak Pests: A Guide to Major Insects, Diseases, Air Pollution and Chemical Injury". It is General Report SA-GR11 from March of 1980 (guess that explains why it is not online!). I'm guessing I picked it up at the Forest Service document library in Delaware, OH (a good trip if you ever have opportunity). I would suspect it is in a forestry library of some sort at Clemson. It is available on Amazon. In searching for that, I found a document (actually presentation) from the University of Tennessee on insects and mites of oaks.

Second thought...Oak decline. You'll learn a lot (and maybe impress your professor asking you to cover a single pest). This is what we call a disease complex. There are predisposing factors (an oak tree planted off-site, for example, leading to the chlorosis Jason mentioned), inciting factors (perhaps a drought), and contributing factors (two-lined chestnut borer and armillaria move in). Alone, none of those would kill the tree...but combined and the tree enters a decline spiral that can be difficult or impossible to pull it out of. More commonly discussed in traditional forestry than arboriculture or the landscape setting. Here is a good USFS primer on oak decline.

Good luck!

Few additional thoughts (all of Jason's are good ones...):

I have a book that I can't find online (most USFS stuff is out there) called "Oak Pests: A Guide to Major Insects, Diseases, Air Pollution and Chemical Injury". It is General Report SA-GR11 from March of 1980 (guess that explains why it is not online!). I'm guessing I picked it up at the Forest Service document library in Delaware, OH (a good trip if you ever have opportunity). I would suspect it is in a forestry library of some sort at Clemson. It is available on Amazon. In searching for that, I found a document (actually presentation) from the University of Tennessee on insects and mites of oaks.

Second thought...Oak decline. You'll learn a lot (and maybe impress your professor asking you to cover a single pest). This is what we call a disease complex. There are predisposing factors (an oak tree planted off-site, for example, leading to the chlorosis Jason mentioned), inciting factors (perhaps a drought), and contributing factors (two-lined chestnut borer and armillaria move in). Alone, none of those would kill the tree...but combined and the tree enters a decline spiral that can be difficult or impossible to pull it out of. More commonly discussed in traditional forestry than arboriculture or the landscape setting. Here is a good USFS primer on oak decline.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the good info! Hopefully i can find some good information on everything

Latest posts

Back