Different Stihl 028's?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLehman

Reaction score
What is the differnce between the Stihl 028WB and the 028AV?

I have borrowed a friends 028WB and it has been great. It appears Stihl does not make this saw anymore. Any help would be appreciated .

I know there has been discussion about the 028 and 038 being some of best saws that stihl has made. I have two 028 supers that I have been very satisfied with. I know they have not been made for 10 years or more. A lot of people now say the 026 is such a good saw. Has anyone been able to compare the old 028
and the new 026? I do not want to change saws but am interested in how 20 year old technology compares to the new stuff. Lets keep the huskys out of this! I am only interested in the stihl 026/028 comparison. By the way, I also have a 038 magnum.

I only ran a friend's 028 one time about 10 years ago, but it was a real nice feeling saw. It was several years old at that time and handled a 20" bar well in 18" laurel oak wood. I run an 026 now, but couldn't make an objective comparison. My new one just doesn't seem as torquey as I remember 024's and 026's of old.

I owned an 038Magnum for about 10-11 years, let it go in a weak moment. A real torquer, I couldn't bog it with a 27" bar and RS chain with rakers filed down too far. The two piece snap-together air filter was the only weakness on the whole machine. I thought about adapting an 044 air filter to it many times, but never tried it.

believe it or not, my preference is the older 028 with no chainbreak or any of the new stuff. why. i owned three the older one was a good deal lighter.
i hadnt realized that ,until i got ready to sell it.all do pretty much the same . just run on.

Hello all, i am also the PROUD owner of a 028 WB i got it as a Christmas gift from my first wife in 1980 it's an early model and when the first ones were built they were 42 cc 2.56 cu. in. Now it is my understanding that after serial # 6111990 the bore was increased from 42 mm 1.65 in. to 44 mm 1.73 in. and then the super @ 46 mm 1.81 in. and all using the same stroke ! anyways for me to describe an 028 in good running condition in a word is SWEET !! ( I have used this saw a lot! It is the saw thats responsible for the saw sickness i suffer ) I wanted a 20 inch stihl my ex- got this 028 with a 18 inch 063 ga. duromatic that little powerhead handels an 18 in bar & .325 chisel into hardwood just fine, Then one day i bought a 16 in. bar & chain for it and fell in love with that saw all over again ( It is so ballanced with the 16 in . ) Not to bragg but i swear it's true i onced droped a white oak that was 44 in. across the center with that 16 in.saw i had to make 4 cuts to get the face out ! I would like to find out if a 028 super piston & cyl. could be retroe fitted on this early 028 i have ? I once tryed to put a 056 mag piston & jug on a 056 super and the bolt pattern was just a little off. Had to take it back to the dealer to get the original super jug & piston and got hit with a 20% restocking fee for returning the top end for the 056 mag ! one has got to be careful when attemping such feats ! As for the 026 . I do not own one , have run one on occasion , another fine saw ! myself i like the bulkier build of the 028

The 028 is coming back this fall as a MS280. It is intended to replace the 026/MS 260.

Bill G

dang they started as an 42 cc saw.
now thats news. never ran into one.
they must have been changed before
many were put out. also the 028 coming back is news. a numbers just a number tho . we ll see what it is when it gets here. to me the 026 seems tobe the same saw with attempts to improve .
so this oughta be interesting.
aslong as pts interchance its fine. but i much prefer a good tool that basically
stay to the same specs , then if they want bigger,or smaller. just build another saw.seems to me we may be looking at a confused mess ,dn the rd.
this is just my take on it. i know theres people that can take most any of these saws an build a whole different machine. but im not one ofum.i just appreciate a good durable tool and would like to know i could replace it ,if i wear it out.
edit case in point. saw 4 031 at my repairmans shop. hes having to scrounge and make do. but these folks love that saw.

028 Super Piston&Jug

Bar Burnner
I have only seen two of the old 028s with the 42 mm bore.I had one that I traded in with a bad piston.I used the piston an jug from a smashed 028 super and they bolt right on.
You can install the 056 Mag jug on the 056 Super case.I do it all the time but I have to machine the bolt pattern.
Later
Dan

Huskyman is likely right. The ms310/031 is just a 029/039 .
So this ms280 will likely be junk as well. They are taking the
old McCulloch/Homelite trail, I am afraid. I didn't even say the
word "electrolux".

First saws had a 15 inch bar similiar to what the 16 inch bar is on an 025 now. They were a little underpowered. The next version is what most people bought. The super made a really nice powerful saw out of it.

I guess my post last week was a little unclear. The MS280 is still in development. Of course it will not be identical to the 028. What I meant to say is it is probably going to be a pro saw like the 028 was. It will probably have an adjustable carb. It will have newer and better AV mounts. It will eventually replace the MS 260. Will this happen next year ? No it will be awhile as it would be tough to kill the 260 shortly after it was put into production. Where did I get my information ? I talked with several Stihl company reps last week. As for the MS270 I do not know when it will be in the dealers but I can assure you that it is built. I ran a MS270 last week. It seemed to run fine. My only complaint is when they ask you to demo a saw they should probably put a sharp chain on it. The 270 is designed to be one most comfortable saws Stihl has. (vibration not user freindliness or quality)

Bill G

Why would Stihl put a fully adjustable carb on the upcoming 280? I dont see how it would pass emissions, unless it runs SUPER clean.

Well,

Isn't that "Special", Stihl is building a "Comfortable" saw. I think Fish is right, Stihl is soon going to be like Homelite, Mac and other saw manufactures. Companies that in the past quality cut quality to increase profits and gain consumer marketshare. Moving away from thier old corporate values and principles for profits. We will see.

Regards,

GeorgeW

I don't know....

I bet Stihl continues with a pro line, unlike McC and Homelite. I see nothing wrong with Stihl, or anyone else, having more than one quality grade.

Ford Motor Co. sells everything from little econoboxes to Lincolns and Jaguars. McC and Homelite failed to keep their high grade stuff alive, and undertake the effort to keep it current. I bet Stihl has a few wunderkinds that can learn from those failures.

If comfort is an indication of decline in quality, there's not a pickup truck on the road that's worth a crud. Even the Hummer is going that way.
AV on saws has been around for a while, and now most would rather not do without it. Improving the AV is just a natural progression. Husky did it with no apparent decline in quality.
If a manufacturer is not looking for ways to improve the product...THEN that manufacturer is on the way out.

Latest posts

Back