Directioinal falling ?s for the pro's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever you are ready to reveal such stunning secrets please let me know, Houdini. I'd really like to see some stuff thats more badass than the best guys on here. You might be able to revolutionize an entire industry. You teach any young roust-abouts today?

ya what he said, no i am curious to this top secret squirrel / ninja techniques.

Thats you...this is me....its a level of respect that i intend to keep....he sure as he11 didnt go and say ok i know this, this, this, this, this, this, and this....no...huh uh...that didnt happen....but i started to notice the more i cut with him and the skidders where gone.....he'd stop me once in awhile and say here let me show you somethin'....he'd show me a trick here...and there...here....and there....im not sure if he taught me everything he knows....but i noticed the more i just kept my mouth shut and eyes and ears open..the more he would show.

lol its not like its a hot stock tip, he cant paten it and make money

Sometimes walk away.

I wish more guys would do this rather than try and bull their way through and really screw things up, there have been some good traps set buy guys going on and not knowing what or how, most of the time those guys don't even know they are setting a trap most of the time on them selves. Things can be bad enough at times but when a new headstrong guy gets into it, it can and does turn sour fast. I wish more people would admit their limits and walk or ask for help. They just might learn something to make them a better saw driver and so might the person doing the teaching.

Owl

About the time I think I know what I'm doing, I prove to myself otherwise. Good sized Red Oak needed to fall north last week, with all limbs on west side. Face cut was a little off, but not bad. Left a good pie shaped wedge on the east side on the back cut. Slowly on its way down the wedge couldn't hold and snapped suddenly . The tree fell right on my west fence, driving a steel post 2' into the ground. :msp_w00t: Had to get my tractor to pull up the post.

the tree probably would have held if you had kept a strip instead of made a pie shape, the farthest wood from the face has tremendous pull on it and is gonna give, imo as soon as wood starts to pull, it all breaks loose and you lost your hinge. The pie shape has its place, heavy head leaners, & the side band swarp:msp_tongue:. but in a swing situation with an unobstructed face, a strip is preferred.

the tree probably would have held if you had kept a strip instead of made a pie shape, the farthest wood from the face has tremendous pull on it and is gonna give, imo as soon as wood starts to pull, it all breaks loose and you lost your hinge. The pie shape has its place, heavy head leaners, & the side band swarp:msp_tongue:. but in a swing situation with an unobstructed face, a strip is preferred.

Sounds like he left mostly tension wood. Gotta keep some compression. Just about figuring how much it will move.

Ain't that the truth. You should see some of the stumps the firewood thieves leave. I can't believe they haven't killed themselves yet.

Eh, they only cut a few a year.

I will still never understand the sloping back cut. Its rare that I see a decent flat stump and then I gotta wonder who made it.

True. But when you find out what it is that you don't really know how to do it might already be too late.

Some of these guys must be on real good terms with their guardian angel. Or just damn lucky.

That is why there are old guys, to moderate youthful excess.

On the subject of youthful excess, I hope Burvol is doing well.

Eh, they only cut a few a year.

I will still never understand the sloping back cut. Its rare that I see a decent flat stump and then I gotta wonder who made it.

The guy that was thinking..... Darn, I really screwed up on that one. Can't believe its almost level. I probably should saw it off before somebody sees it.

These stumps were cut by power company contractors whose employee's were from another country south of Texas:)

Nice lmfao:cheers:

treework2010008.jpg

treework2010010.jpg

Here is where the creamed the fence and barely missed the house :jawdrop:

treework2010011.jpg

Next day they hit a house and brought lines down on roof:)

Last edited:
Falling

Well if need to learn there is feller on the youtube site that shows some of the techniques on video. I think he goes by dangercat.:confused

Me it would take meez a month to peck on the keep board to describe my shirt tail falling technique.
:dizzy:

These stumps were cut by power company contractors whose employee's were from another country south of Texas:)

Nice lmfao:cheers:

treework2010008.jpg

treework2010010.jpg

Here is where the creamed the fence and barely missed the house :jawdrop:

treework2010011.jpg

Next day they hit a house and brought lines down on roof:)

I've seen a lot of stumps like that before. I used to herd a flock of the fallers from abroad. And a power company contract it was too! The most vivid (and frighting) period of my life this far.

Our neighboring country happens to be too quite a bit, let's say, unfortunate, economically. The problem is, workers coming from there are not hired because they are good, but because they are cheap. And you'll never get the best workers that way. You'll get mostly leftovers, those who didn't make it back home. The best do have jobs at home and they have no intention to go anywhere. I'm sorry to tell you that's a fact.

Back