Dirty Hand Tools 22-ton Splitter Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jutt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up a 22-ton DHT splitter direct from DHT in Louisville Colorado around a month ago. The machine had leaked some hydraulic fluid in the crate and was sold at a discount. I was told the leak was resolved.

I've since split around 4 cords of wood including some really tough Elm crotches and some twisty pieces of Honey Locust. I never stalled once (running motor at full throttle). For some context, my previous splitter was a Swisher 22 ton and I borrowed a friends Speeco 22-ton with GX Honda motor when I first starting seriously scrounging for wood. With that background, the short version of the story is that I'm extremely pleased so far with this machine and would buy the DHT again over both of those other splitters even if the DHT cost more.

Pros:
- Solid construction: Seems beefier than the Swisher or Speeco. Certainly weighs more. Welds look good. I like the color, nice looking machine.

- 13 GPM pump: faster cycling than the Swisher and Speeco I have used

- Built in log cradle: Swisher didn't have it

- The log table: wow, not sure how I have gotten along all this time without one of these things. A LOT less bending over picking up splits from the opposite side of the work area=a LOT faster splitting and less back pain. Well worth the extra price if not included.

- 6.5 hp horizontal Kohler: WAY more power than the B&S vertical shaft motor on the Swisher. More power than my friends GX powered Speeco (but not as smooth as the Honda)

- Stripper plates: My Swisher didn't have them. The Speeco did but are not removable for 4 way. I'm not planning on getting a 4 way so the fact they are removable is somewhat moot but still a nice feature

- Huge gas tank: I remember thinking several times that I'm surprised it hasn't ran out of fuel

- Local company: based here in Colorado

- Customer service: This well exceeded my expectations. DHT was all over a few minor issues I had (see below). Like almost instant response time. Kudos to DHT for getting customer service right.

Cons:
- Leaky hydraulic fittings:
I had to tighten the really large fitting that screws directly into the reservoir due to a slight leak. This required a pipe wrench with the red bar from a Hi-lift jack to produce the kind of leverage needed to tighten that thing and I'm immensely strong;) No problem now but should have been done properly at the factory. I also had to tighten the hose clamp on the connection between the pump and reservoir due to a slight leak. Lastly the oil filter leaked which required a solid hand tightening to fix.

NOTE: DHT offered to replace the entire tank assembly if I couldn't fix the large fitting leak.

- Measurement sticker is gone: wore off after 4 cords. No surprise considering the sticker was located where logs slide around. I would suggest a just a few engraved notches of 16-20" vs an entire sticker that wears off.

- The control handle was a bit sticky at first, i.e. required a bit more force to activate than I was expecting. Has since smoothed up and feels great now.

- The engine vibrates significantly if not at WOT. Since the instructions state to specifically run at WOT, not a big deal but worth mentioning as my friends Honda powered Speeco doesn't have this problem. At WOT the machine is very smooth.

- Oil plug location: oil drains directly onto the engine "tray" making the oil change quite messy. I might cut away the portion of the tray directly below the oil plug to resolve this. Also it was somewhat awkward to add oil given the oil fill location.

Bottomline: Even considering a few minor issues I think DHT got all the important ones right and would highly recommend if in the market for a 22-ton splitter.

Quick tip on changing the oil. You can remove the four bolts holding the engine to the tank and tilt the engine forward to drain the oil. No need to disconnect the pump or any hoses.

Thanks for the purchase!!!

You could also replace the drain bolt with a 1/8" or 1/4" (not sure which) galvanized pipe nipple and a cap. Length dictated by how far out you want it to dump from the engine.

I have a Brave 22 ton splitter, and that engine oil draining onto the tray drives me nuts. Of course, I never remember to extend a nipple out past the tray until the next time I change the oil. Usually to lazy to drive to the hardware store at that point.

Quick tip on changing the oil. You can remove the four bolts holding the engine to the tank and tilt the engine forward to drain the oil. No need to disconnect the pump or any hoses.

Thanks for the purchase!!!
Don't know why they are Stihl listed as a sponsor here but they went bankrupt
?
Dirty Hand Tools ?

Don't know why they are Stihl listed as a sponsor here but they went bankrupt
I thought they had been unusually quiet for a while. Bummer. One article suggests dispute with Chinese suppliers.
This includes DHT, Redback 120V, and other product lines. Chapter 11 suggests that some type of comeback is possible with a reorganization.

October 11, 2019
"Frictionless World LLC filed for voluntary Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Sept. 30, 2019, in the District of Colorado. The debtor listed an address of 1100 W. 120th Ave. #600, Westminster, and is represented in court by attorney David V. Wadsworth. Frictionless World LLC listed assets up to $14,600,503 and debts up to $17,364,542. The filing's largest creditor was listed as Frictionless LLC with an outstanding claim of $12,645,740."

October 3, 2019
"A Westminster-based manufacturer of tools and power equipment ranging from lawn mowers to drills used by ice fishermen has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
Frictionless World said in a Sept. 30 filing that the company has $14.6 million in assets, including $6.4 million in inventory and $4.54 million in cash on hand. The company said it has liabilities totaling $17.36 million, although it disputes many of the claims.
Companies use Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection to reorganize and help keep the business alive, paying creditors over time.
Frictionless World is the parent company of multiple brands: Dirty Handy Tools for power equipment, RanchEx for ranching equipment, Redback for lawn care equipment, Trophy Strike for ice fishing equipment and Vinsetta Tools for logging equipment.
Frictionless World, owned by CEO Dan Banjo, said in court filings that it had revenue of $26.22 million in 2018, up from $17.57 million in 2017. The company reported revenue of $17.72 million in the first nine months of this year.
The bulk of the claims against the company — one of which is for $12.64 million — are made by creditors with Chinese mailing addresses, and are disputed by the company. Frictionless World said in the filing that it is in the middle of an arbitration dispute with several Chinese entities that concerns breach of contract and fraud.
Attorney David Wadsworth of Wadsworth Garber Warner Conrardy is representing the company in the bankruptcy proceedings.
Banjo and Wadsworth did not respond to separate requests for comment."

Philbert

The main company is back , read that page .

"Warranty Update

Due to the current state of our business and the COVID-19 pandemic, we will no longer be servicing warranty claims for our Dirty Hand Tools, RanchEx, Vinsetta and Clam brands. We will continue to selling and servicing Redback and Trophy Strike products.

We will no longer be selling Clam products. We affirm that the listings describing the items being sold is true and accurate to the best of our knowledge."

So , still around but not full support or stock .

The main company is back , read that page .

"Warranty Update

Due to the current state of our business and the COVID-19 pandemic, we will no longer be servicing warranty claims for our Dirty Hand Tools, RanchEx, Vinsetta and Clam brands. We will continue to selling and servicing Redback and Trophy Strike products.

We will no longer be selling Clam products. We affirm that the listings describing the items being sold is true and accurate to the best of our knowledge."

So , still around but not full support or stock .

Wonder what exactly 'current state of business' means? Sounds like they're trying to get out from under whatever mess they're in. Aside from Covid related issues on top of that. Do hope they come out of it, never going when any business fails.

Back