Dirty hand tools 27 ton log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper_Pete

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Trapper_Pete submitted a new Showcase Item:

Dirty hand tools 27 ton log splitter

I bought this new in 2014 from my local small engine shop that started carrying the dirty had tools brand and have been using it since it has worked very well my then 11 year old son does a lot of my splitting at 13 he is still doing around half or more of my splitting , he sometimes needs help getting a round into the splitter but once it is in and in half he is usually good he runs it mostly as a vertical splitter he sits on the first log I cut him then splits and the last log to split is the one he has been sitting on.

I run it as a horizontal when I am working of the tail gate or trailer

it has powered through every knot and fork that I have tried so far

before I purchased this we were renting a splitter from the local hardware store I would cut everything haul it home and stack up the rounds and my wife and I would split the years firewood in a weekend marathon of splitting almost always on a holiday weekend so that we could get the splitter for 2 days for the price of one from 8 am to 8 pm do it again the next day then take the machine back bright and early so we only got charged for the one day.

we would hurt , but it was cheap , we got older and wiser, saved some money and bought this splitter

I much prefer having my own splitter and being able to split as we cut and it also reduces the number of times we handle the wood cutting labor time

the machine works very well

when I first got it I had a few leaks , teflon tape at every fitting should be put in even if it is an assembly from the factory or the factory should add a thread sealant

the oil line from the tank to the pump could be routed better with a 90 degree fitting off the tank and pump to get it pointing towards the pump to not be a potential snag issue when moving the splitter to the wood lot. travel to my wood lot is about 5 miles if I am going much further I added a 2 inch ball to the rail of my larger utility trailer and the splitter rolls up on the trailer and fastens to the ball

the splitter comes with a measuring tape sticker on it , nice idea but it wears off very quickly in the first few days I try and cut everything to 16 inches because it is what my stove likes if they are over 18 they need to be cut down you can put a line with spray paint once the ruler wears off

the splitter cam with the log rack , it is nice to protect the engine and oil cap from getting wood dropped on them and it is handy for when you are splitting horizontal it is just big enough that you...

Read more about this showcase item here...

Back