Dirty hand tools leaky seal on cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwilliams

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I purchased my dht 30 splitter in February this year and after about 8-10 hrs of use I noticed the seal around the ram on the cylinder was leaking oil out. I called customer service and thinking they would just send me a new seal to replace my self they gave me the option to take it to a shop have it replaced and get them the bill or they would send me a whole new cylinder. New cylinder is in the process of shipping now. I can honestly say that dirty hand tools customer service is outstanding. Makes me happy to know they are willing to stand behind their product!

Attachments

• 584992D5-07AB-4B92-A380-D49D864CF2F2.jpeg
    584992D5-07AB-4B92-A380-D49D864CF2F2.jpeg
    792.8 KB · Views: 105
Had the same issue with my DHT 30 ton. They sent me a new cylinder same day with out question. I haven’t had the problem since I installed that. Couldn’t have asked for better customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see a lot of post about DHT splitters and there warranty policy. They do seem to honer warranty work without question, however I see a lot of these post. Looks like DHT would fix these issues before they ship. The number one issue I see is leaking hydraulics. Seems to be a lot of failures with these units. Whats going on over at DHT? Makes me wounder if they are using cheap components and gambling they wont fail.

My 30ton dht is fantastic so far yes only has 8-10 hours but with the Honda engine it’s fantastic I couldn’t ask for a better piece of equipment if the only problem is a leaking seal. Then I’m fine with that but I know there was guys on here who were always bad talking dht but so far I would buy another one tomorrow if I had to replace mine

My 30ton dht is fantastic so far yes only has 8-10 hours but with the Honda engine it’s fantastic I couldn’t ask for a better piece of equipment if the only problem is a leaking seal. Then I’m fine with that but I know there was guys on here who were always bad talking dht but so far I would buy another one tomorrow if I had to replace mine

I'm not trying to bash DHT at all, I'm just pointing out what I'm observing.

Old thread I know but I thought I would chime in. DHT does have very good customer service. They stood behind my 27 ton even after it was out of warranty.
That said, my splitter lost the pump around 27 hours, which they replaced, and then lost the cylinder some time after that. DHT made good on both, but it begs the question about they're quality control.
Would I buy another? Yes. But maybe they need to get on their suppliers to up the quality.

Old thread I know but I thought I would chime in. DHT does have very good customer service. They stood behind my 27 ton even after it was out of warranty.
That said, my splitter lost the pump around 27 hours, which they replaced, and then lost the cylinder some time after that. DHT made good on both, but it begs the question about they're quality control.
Would I buy another? Yes. But maybe they need to get on their suppliers to up the quality.
@Gkiesel. just add a 3rd case nof beer. :cheers:

Bought the 35 ton last year, cylinder went out within four hours, new one arrived two weeks later. Installed the new one and it started leaking elsewhere, called in for warranty work and it took six weeks to get it back. Split approximately eight cords and it started leaking again. Returned it to the shop for repair where it sat for another eight weeks. Get it back, run it for an hour and the return hose has melted. I have made several calls to DHT over the course of three days, total time 2.5 hours. I have yet to speak with anyone and am unable to get any info as to where I can get a replacement hose. Might be the worst purchase I've ever made.

I’ve replaced three cylinders that they have sent me. As well as oil and filter. They all have the same issue after about 5 hours. Can’t complain about anything else. It splits everything I throw at it.

I’ve replaced three cylinders that they have sent me. As well as oil and filter. They all have the same issue after about 5 hours. Can’t complain about anything else. It splits everything I throw at it.

Every five hours you have to replace the cylinder?

I have replaced three cylinders. After about 5 hours of use on all three they have devolved the seal leak just like the above picture. It’s just a trickle of a leak.

welp, my hydraulic cylinder started to leak. I've had the DHT 28 ton for about 4 years. Haven't really used it much. I have not called because I figure they wouldn't warranty it. But looking at it how the heck do you get that cap off the cylinder?

take that screw out , tap the cap in to expose the snap ring ,dig the ring out with a pick or small screw driver . then the piston rod will pull out. drain the oil out the hose fitting first best you can.

Need to find out why the seals failed first. Damaged rod surface, bent rod, damaged rod bushing, side loading on rod, external damage, etc etc.
It is possible the seals were poor quality OEM, or damaged at install. Is this a china cylinder?

So sounds like their systems contaminated with some type of abrasive. Their filters suck? Tank full of shavings or grit? My $200 cylinder from farm supply store has been fine since new 5-6 years ago.

If I had one, would flush system a few times and replace fluid with quality hydraulic fluid with new filter.

Latest posts

Back