Dirty hand tools leaky seal on cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey motoguy I have a Dirty Hand Tools 27 ton splitter cylinder thats leaking hydraulic fluid at the ram rod seal. Which seal kit did you use?
Do you have the manufacture and part number you can pass along?
Thanks a bunch
Vic
Hey guys I’m trying to replace the cylinders seals. Question how do I get the ram out of the cylinder?

either unscrew or remove snapring on gland, then pull like mofo on the rod, using compressed air to blow it out is possible but can also be really risky, use extreme caution, I have seen guys shoot the rod and gland out doing that and it crashes into things with a lot of force. Also just FYI, a ram is specifically for a single acting cylinder where the rod is the same size as the id of the barrel and the rod is the actual piston, in a two way or any other setup where the rod coming out is smaller than the actual bore (therefore having an actual piston) the piece coming out is properly referred to as the rod.

I have had cylinders that I rebuilt that you had to physically chain the barrel end to an anchor point and use a forklift or skidsteer to jerk the rod free, especially if the piston seals were screwed up, also had a couple over the years that I had to cut the barrel off the gland because something went wrong, when you have 20+feet of pipe on the gland wrench on a 6 inch cylinder gland and a 280 pound guy hanging on it plus you're heating the barrel around it and the gland wont budge something is wrong, turned out customer had a piece of junk fall out of the cab and get between the boom and that cylinder while it was in motion thus distorting the barrel. Funny how the truth comes out after they get the repair estimate.

I have had cylinders that I rebuilt that you had to physically chain the barrel end to an anchor point and use a forklift or skidsteer to jerk the rod free, especially if the piston seals were screwed up, also had a couple over the years that I had to cut the barrel off the gland because something went wrong, when you have 20+feet of pipe on the gland wrench on a 6 inch cylinder gland and a 280 pound guy hanging on it plus you're heating the barrel around it and the gland wont budge something is wrong, turned out customer had a piece of junk fall out of the cab and get between the boom and that cylinder while it was in motion thus distorting the barrel. Funny how the truth comes out after they get the repair estimate.
We blew one out with air and some assistance by hand and it went off like a mortar.

@lone wolf we blew one out of a 580K case boom cylinder one time when i was working at a dealer and it shot the rod about 20 feet into a steel drum and crushed it, and in the process it split the barrel.

either unscrew or remove snapring on gland, then pull like mofo on the rod, using compressed air to blow it out is possible but can also be really risky, use extreme caution, I have seen guys shoot the rod and gland out doing that and it crashes into things with a lot of force. Also just FYI, a ram is specifically for a single acting cylinder where the rod is the same size as the id of the barrel and the rod is the actual piston, in a two way or any other setup where the rod coming out is smaller than the actual bore (therefore having an actual piston) the piece coming out is properly referred to as the rod.
Thanks I was able to get it out. Do you happen to have a part number for the seal inside the piston?It is the teal green seal. I have the dust seal and expansion seal.

Can't believe you guys don't have a decent hydraulic shop close by, we have 2 close around here that I use. If they can't get you fixed up they can have it ordered and shipped in a few days, several times on smaller cylinders it turned out not much more cost just to replaced the cylinder rather then rebuild it.

Back