Disability Insurance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABOVE & BEYOND

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Fellow Arborists,

Do any of you people have disability insurance? If so, I need some advise on getting it, as I was denied today. More disturbing is that my wife runs an insurance agency and is very well known throughout the insurance industry. Besides for telling me not to get hurt, does anyone have any suggestions on getting disability insurance?

Please advise.

GPM

How about an industry group plan? I would think that the ISA would have organized a group plan available to its members, but maybe not. I know group and life and disability used to be available to loggers, not sure about that anymore but another possible avenue to explore.

ISA does not do anything like that. It would require that they actually do something to help their members. You seem to forget that the main purpose of the ISA is to suck dollars out of members, not to help them.
[flak jacket and armored jockstrap are in place]
:jawdrop:

Mike Maas said:
So those that cover work related injuries replace WC, supplement it, or what?

Typically supplement. Say you bought a DI policy for $1000 a month in replaced income. If You get injured on the job and that is a covered situation you will collect $1000 a month. If you are also covered by WC say for $800 a month, then your DI policy will likely only pay $200 a month. Most DI policies have clauses that prevent you from double dipping.

Rebelman, the credit card offers are ripoffs. The rates are crazy and the only thing that is covered is your minimum payment on the balance of that credit card. (at least the ones that I've seen)

Many years ago I bought a disability insurance that covered me at work or at home. At that time I bought a small monthly coverage. Every ten years I got 80% of premiums back less any claims. I will be 65 in August and will cash in policy as I am retired. The company is now called Assurity Life Insurance Company, Lioncoln NE

I forgot to mentioned that my company was Inc. but I filled out a forms with state of Maine to be exempt from Workers Comp. At that time our rate was 54% and even was on a profit you made at end of year. No way I would pay that much. In Miane if the owner or owners opt not to have workers comp their health insurance must cover you at work or at home.

ABOVE & BEYOND said:
Fellow Arborists,

Besides for telling me not to get hurt, does anyone have any suggestions on getting disability insurance?

GPM

There are underwriters out there, you just need a broker that will shop around. I know a few people who have a policy and work in treecare.

Dadatwins said:
Let me second that. Aflac has a very attractive salesforce. :clap: :clap: :clap:

You can get supplemental insurance through them, and if three or more at your workplace sign up for some form of it (doesn't have to be just disability) you qualify for group insurance rates.

One more plug for their salesforce. :D

Back