Disappointed with my 372xp...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomarch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I recently came across a 372xp and I've been very excited about getting it running. I got rid of my faithful 441 and I always compare the two saws.

The 372 seems like it has a better stronger engine (I see it compared to the 462 more). But besides the engine, the 441 seems way better designed, or am I just a Stihl man?

1. The air filter on the Husqvarna is tricky to clean compared to the 441 (I blow mine out with air, but just can't get inside the 372's small hole to blast dust out from behind properly), and it also clogs up sooooo fast compared to the 441!

2. The choke lever comes off the carb if you pull slightly too hard :( maybe that's a part that needs replacing...

3. The chain tension screw is under the wrap handle!!!!! So when I tension the chain I have to put my bar tool on the screw at an angle and it slips off lots. Ugggggh

4. Putting the side plate back on is crazy finicky. I loved the Stihl system, where you can hook the chain/bar combo on the sprocket, then easily work the bar on to the tensioning pin, where it will sit happily while you put the side plate on. With the 372, since the tensioning system is in the side plate, I've been wrestling with trying to hold the bar and chain together with one hand while it's on the sprocket and trying to keep tension on it so the pin on the cover will line up. I end up having to loosen the tension a couple turns to make it work every time. Didn't have to change the tension with the 441...

5. The brake handle action feels cheap if you know what I mean. The 441 had great solid feeling action. And the 372 handle doesn't return forwards after I take the brake off... No spring to it. Maybe I'm missing a part there though? Hopefully?

Anyways, I'm still excited about the saw, but I'm so disappointed with all these small frustrations adding up. It feels like they had two different teams designing it. The engine team had the brains and funding, and the body team....... Not so much.

Isn't this the legendary 372xp that everyone raves about? Is it really this poorly designed?

If anyone has any advice for any of my issues, I'd love some pointers. I want to love this saw.
EvmMru2

I like Stihl saws. I had a used Husky 460, that I had to work on to get running properly. Once it was 100%, I decided to stay with Stihl, and sold the beast. New owner loves it.

So I recently came across a 372xp and I've been very excited about getting it running. I got rid of my faithful 441 and I always compare the two saws.

The 372 seems like it has a better stronger engine (I see it compared to the 462 more). But besides the engine, the 441 seems way better designed, or am I just a Stihl man?

1. The air filter on the Husqvarna is tricky to clean compared to the 441 (I blow mine out with air, but just can't get inside the 372's small hole to blast dust out from behind properly), and it also clogs up sooooo fast compared to the 441!

2. The choke lever comes off the carb if you pull slightly too hard :( maybe that's a part that needs replacing...

3. The chain tension screw is under the wrap handle!!!!! So when I tension the chain I have to put my bar tool on the screw at an angle and it slips off lots. Ugggggh

4. Putting the side plate back on is crazy finicky. I loved the Stihl system, where you can hook the chain/bar combo on the sprocket, then easily work the bar on to the tensioning pin, where it will sit happily while you put the side plate on. With the 372, since the tensioning system is in the side plate, I've been wrestling with trying to hold the bar and chain together with one hand while it's on the sprocket and trying to keep tension on it so the pin on the cover will line up. I end up having to loosen the tension a couple turns to make it work every time. Didn't have to change the tension with the 441...

5. The brake handle action feels cheap if you know what I mean. The 441 had great solid feeling action. And the 372 handle doesn't return forwards after I take the brake off... No spring to it. Maybe I'm missing a part there though? Hopefully?

Anyways, I'm still excited about the saw, but I'm so disappointed with all these small frustrations adding up. It feels like they had two different teams designing it. The engine team had the brains and funding, and the body team....... Not so much.

Isn't this the legendary 372xp that everyone raves about? Is it really this poorly designed?

If anyone has any advice for any of my issues, I'd love some pointers. I want to love this saw.
EvmMru2
You will love if you get these issues worked out. I have a 365, basically the same saw except for the air filter. My chain break works like it should. You may have something broken or missing. You can get an ipl on here if you don't have one. There are some different styles of after market filters for these saws. You might find one you like better. I don't like the chain tensioner in the clutch cover either. I think mine has the recessed area in the case that you can switch it over to the old style front adjust tensioner. That might be something to look into.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

So no tips to help me out then?
Ill give you a tip run it and a Stihl every time you cut wood and report back in 5 years and tell me which one held up better. I hate when people do comparisons on two different things in ten minutes and declare they know all! The Stihl will last longer but the Husky is a hot rod!

Ill give you a tip run it and a Stihl every time you cut wood and report back in 5 years and tell me which one held up better. I hate when people do comparisons on two different things in ten minutes and declare they know all! The Stihl will last longer but the Husky is a hot rod!
While I don't have a Stihl chainsaw for comparison, my old Husqvarna 50 has held up very well. I bought it new in 1985 and used it until 2000 for firewood for an outdoor water stove. It was my only saw then, I still have it and it still runs good.

You will love if you get these issues worked out. I have a 365, basically the same saw except for the air filter. My chain break works like it should. You may have something broken or missing. You can get an ipl on here if you don't have one. There are some different styles of after market filters for these saws. You might find one you like better. I don't like the chain tensioner in the clutch cover either. I think mine has the recessed area in the case that you can switch it over to the old style front adjust tensioner. That might be something to look into.

Hey thanks for this, helpful reply!! I'll take a look at the tensioner recess you mentioned

While I don't have a Stihl chainsaw for comparison, my old Husqvarna 50 has held up very well. I bought it new in 1985 and used it until 2000 for firewood for an outdoor water stove. It was my only saw then, I still have it and it still runs good.

That one did hold up well I had all the 2 series Huskys back in the day the worst was their climbing saw the best was the 272 288 3120

That one did hold up well I had all the 2 series Huskys back in the day the worst was their climbing saw the best was the 272 288 3120
I do have a Stihl string trimmer and pole saw and like them, but when it comes to chainsaws and leaf blowers I like Husqvarna better.

That's pretty much exactly what I said... That my Stihl was a solid machine, but the husky has a wild/great engine. I don't need 5 years to put that together.

Just looking for tips and tricks from husky owners who know how to work with the saw and make it smooth to use.

That's pretty much exactly what I said... That my Stihl was a solid machine, but the husky has a wild/great engine. I don't need 5 years to put that together.

Just looking for tips and tricks from husky owners who know how to work with the saw and make it smooth to use.
Locktite the muffler bolts for starters!

Latest posts

Back