Discover Channel Shows Dangerously Irresponsible Chainsaw Work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
put a rope in the tree at least!!
GEEEEZE, how long did it take for some one to say that. I could tie a monkey fist in the end of a rope and throw a tag line up 20-30 feet, or use a Big Shot and shoot a line up 60-70 feet easy, pull a bull line through, and let all those stupid people get on the end of the 17,000 pound bull line, 150 feet away, and just pull the damn thing over. But there is no drama in putting a rope in a tree and pulling it over. Look at all those cool little cuts that he had to put in the stump to get the bottle jack in. Now that took some skill. There is just no cure for stupid!

Is this the show with Marty?

A while back he brought a saw in to get worked on (he lives not far from here)

Whoever had sharpened them, it was almost laughable, angles were all out of whack, most around probably 50-60* tooth angle! Offered to sharpen, got told they were just fine like that. :omg:

He's a nice guy and all, but I usually try to go hide when he comes by, he's really pushy. Has no qualms of calling a baby ugly, even if there wasn't any reason to do so.
around these parts he call a baby ugly with momma standing there and might end up being a Jack Lambert lookalike ! LOL!

I worked for electric utilities for 38 years, sat through all the safety meetings with the videos...those safety videos are what they should show on these networks, but of course no one would watch, just like not very many workers want to watch them. Those are the better instructions...don't watch "reality" shows for how to do anything!

I know I'm late to the party here but there's two things I'd like to say the first is is how in the **** do you get a Dutchman on the back cut? Or at least that's what it looks like to me in the picture posted earlier it looks like maybe he was unhappy with the cut because it was curving upwards so he backed out and re angled how stupid can you be? I also watched the episode and they show a glimpse of him sharpening the saw before cutting which I'm sure because of the way the cuts look the right side was more aggressive than the left so naturally it's going to curve to the right which won't be noticed in smaller trees but you get into some big wopd like that you'll find it. The second thing is 99% of what they show on Discovery Channel is here in the United States they are getting paid by the Discovery Channel that makes the people that do stuff on these shows employees of the Discovery Channel where is OSHA? They have used video evidence to issue millions in fines why are they not fineing Discovery Channel for this stuff? For the most part I'm sure Discovery Channel has a great team of lawyers to write contracts in a way that they aren't liable and that will probably suffice for anyone except for OSHA for lack of a better way of putting it OSHA will rip up a contract and piss on it I've seen them Crush many well written release of liability contracts one of these contracts in particular held up in court for everyone except OSHA just my two cent and one more thing that just came to mind how many people has the Discovery Channel influence into doing something they were not qualified to do I guess what I'm saying is how many people out there saw them cut the trees on that show and thought that looks easy and they went and got a saw and did just like on the show and hurt themselves in a way that could have been prevented with ppe and training

And the jacks on the low side so that means whoever is operating it is going to have to be on the low side you can't fix stupid

That jack in my picture is dead center of the back cut the low side was cut up first. There’s times you do stand on the low side when cutting timber is it a great practice but there’s time there’s no where else to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at a picture that was posted but was not part of the show I deleted my comment because it was based on misinformation

Just bumping this up.

Just watched their latest episode.

Again no PPE.

Cutting 8ft off ground.

Cutting off an unstable wobbly metal step ladder.

Cut a massive tree right close to the building.

Crazy huge wedge.

Ever poorer back cut.

NO hinge.

Had his son come up side of same ladder he was using to hastily pound a couple wedge.

I am no pro.

I had a huge tree in my yard one time....and I paid $300 for professional to take it down.

Marty Rainey.....its amazing be is alive or hasnt killed anyone....

I’ve quite watching all of these reality, Dangerous, shows, all drama. My friend fishes out of Oregon inlet in Hatteras, NC. He got behind one of the Wicked Tuna boats one time and was in the filming. He was so far back his 30’ Contender was a little blue and white dot heading South as the WT boat was heading East. The Captain started yelling “F’n Sport fisher is running across my lines!“ F’n Sport fisher gonna F’n cut my F’n lines, F’n off”. He was at least a mile back, no where near the WT boat. In real life fishermen wave at you when you pass them. But what drama is in two guys waving good morning to each other?

I was watching one of those Alaska wilderness shows and the guy kept looking at the camera saying he had to shoot “This Moose” today, or he would starve over the winter. Then he stuck the rifle butt under his armpit and shot over the moose. Then I found out that after filming, when weather got real bad, most of the cast lived in California.

As far as tree work goes, I was fourth generation in a family owned business, studied Botany at UofMD, climbed for 40 years, was licensed and insured. I can’t believe those idiots get $30-$100,000 per episode making people think real tree men are that stupid.

I know I'm late to the party here but there's two things I'd like to say the first is is how in the **** do you get a Dutchman on the back cut? Or at least that's what it looks like to me in the picture posted earlier it looks like maybe he was unhappy with the cut because it was curving upwards so he backed out and re angled how stupid can you be? I also watched the episode and they show a glimpse of him sharpening the saw before cutting which I'm sure because of the way the cuts look the right side was more aggressive than the left so naturally it's going to curve to the right which won't be noticed in smaller trees but you get into some big wopd like that you'll find it. The second thing is 99% of what they show on Discovery Channel is here in the United States they are getting paid by the Discovery Channel that makes the people that do stuff on these shows employees of the Discovery Channel where is OSHA? They have used video evidence to issue millions in fines why are they not fineing Discovery Channel for this stuff? For the most part I'm sure Discovery Channel has a great team of lawyers to write contracts in a way that they aren't liable and that will probably suffice for anyone except for OSHA for lack of a better way of putting it OSHA will rip up a contract and piss on it I've seen them Crush many well written release of liability contracts one of these contracts in particular held up in court for everyone except OSHA just my two cent and one more thing that just came to mind how many people has the Discovery Channel influence into doing something they were not qualified to do I guess what I'm saying is how many people out there saw them cut the trees on that show and thought that looks easy and they went and got a saw and did just like on the show and hurt themselves in a way that could have been prevented with ppe and training
They might not be filming in an OSHA state, for example in SC we can tell the osha man to go pound sand.

I remember this episode, me and the missus couldn't believe what we were seeing, I agree that there is a lot of dubious goings on in this program, the impression they give is that there is only three and then you see all these other faces now and again. It's a shame as I was told by someone I work with that he didn't need PPE when he used his new chainsaw as he had watched a show on telly and he never used it! Guess what show?

Discovery's "Homestead Rescue" show covers homesteaders who have gotten in over their heads and offers them expert/professional help to make it work.

Please view this episode "Poisoned" from Season 4 at around the 12 minute mark (just after the first commercial break).
https://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/homestead-rescue/full-episodes/poisoned

No safety glasses, hard hats, or chaps.
Amateurs (the people supposedly being helped) shown casually using saws.
@ 13:00 A large oak tree in unknown condition
The family is gathered around the base of this oak as it is bottle jacked over - including the daughter!
STILL NO PPE
The family INVITED TO STAND AT THE BASE AS THE TREE IS CUT WITH NO PPE
The "expert" cuts through the g-ddamn hinge and the oak tree falls backwards with the appearance that everyone is still around the tree.
Another "close call"
"Expert" apologizes for what could have happened.

Both the dangerous behavior and the using of these naive (I don't mean this unkindly) homesteaders as props is reprehensible. The father even accepts the apology, when if he knew how dangerous what just happened was and how irresponsible this show and its producers are, he should be outraged.

The only possible excuse is that the danger was a lie created by the show producers. Did Discovery set up this danger by mixing the cuts out of order and adding voiceover screams of the women, but in reality with only the "expert" and his helper right next to the tree at the time he cuts through the hinge? All this done to make it exciting while giving viewers a terrible impression of arborist profession. Real or a setup, there is no excuse for a professional to cut through the hinge.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum, but I'm upset by how irresponsible the production was on this fake reality show. The producers would probably say it highlights the danger of tree work and it's a good thing, but it's a mockery and awful and they should be ashamed.
I cant believe how stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ve quite watching all of these reality, Dangerous, shows, all drama. My friend fishes out of Oregon inlet in Hatteras, NC. He got behind one of the Wicked Tuna boats one time and was in the filming. He was so far back his 30’ Contender was a little blue and white dot heading South as the WT boat was heading East. The Captain started yelling “F’n Sport fisher is running across my lines!“ F’n Sport fisher gonna F’n cut my F’n lines, F’n off”. He was at least a mile back, no where near the WT boat. In real life fishermen wave at you when you pass them. But what drama is in two guys waving good morning to each other?

I was watching one of those Alaska wilderness shows and the guy kept looking at the camera saying he had to shoot “This Moose” today, or he would starve over the winter. Then he stuck the rifle butt under his armpit and shot over the moose. Then I found out that after filming, when weather got real bad, most of the cast lived in California.

As far as tree work goes, I was fourth generation in a family owned business, studied Botany at UofMD, climbed for 40 years, was licensed and insured. I can’t believe those idiots get $30-$100,000 per episode making people think real tree men are that stupid.
Yeah, I remember an episode of some stupid Alaska show. About a guy and his small family living off grid on a subsistence level, hand to mouth. It was all dramatic about how this guy had to go out on a dangerous hunt, all on his own, for moose or something. And his family had to have the meat for survival or they would all starve to death in the cruel Alaska winter. So this guy walks out of his humble, subsistence cabin and climbs into his piper cub and flies to moose country!!! How stupid do they think people are? He could have bought a years supply of frozen chicken just for the cost of gas for that airplane trip!!!

It's disturbing to me that these shows have enough viewers to keep them on the air. I never imagined that old B&W movies on TCM and 50's 60's TV shows could be so enjoyable.

Damn.

If I was there I would have said for everyone to get back, and also, stop jacking the tree and put a rope in it!!

The producers of the show should have been investigated by OSHA or some such watchdog.

I have actually helped someone teach some C class faller prospects in the USFS up in AK. We demoed using a jack (an actual loggers jack, can't remember the brand off hand). I did not necessarily agree, because of the possibility of a barber chair, but the instructor bent an 18 in. hemlock over around 20 degrees from vertical (with a face cut and shallow back cut already in it) and then cut enough additional holding wood to fell it. He was showing that you can move a lot of weight with a jack. Just the opposite of the TV show scenario!!

Latest posts

Back