Disposing of tree tops

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenjaminPQ

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm clearing some forest on my property. I was burning the tree tops and brush until the county came and told me to stop. My neighbors are within 1000 ft so I can only have a 5x5x5 "ceremonial" fire. So, what are my options. I'm considering renting a dump truck and hauling it to the local drop off. A top load chipper would be great. I have a thump on my backhoe and could load it pretty fast. Does a top load chipper exist? I stander ed chipper would just take to long I think.

Any advice in appreciated!

Why are you deforesting your land? If you were planning to keep it in a forest :clap: you could simply lop up the slash so it laid down on the ground and let it rot to keep the soil productive.

I am a fan of working forests, not deforestation.

Our house sits on 3.5 acres when we bought it it was totally wooded except for the house. I cleared about 3/4 of an acre for a back yard. Not exactly deforestation.

How big are these tops on the big end? 8"?

More like 5"

You might be surprised how fast a chipper will deal with that stuff.

Out your way there are some good deals on big chippers. You get a 18" morbark self-feeding chipper and it will be all you can do to keep up with it. Something small in the 9-12" range will eat tops all day, get a little saw to cut stuff so it feeds, a big cooler full of water and have at it.

You don't want a "homeowner" grade joke of a chipper. If it isn't heavy, loud, and drinks lots of diesel it won't work. You might be able to rent one for the project.

Our house sits on 3.5 acres when we bought it it was totally wooded except for the house. I cleared about 3/4 of an acre for a back yard. Not exactly deforestation.

You might be surprised how fast a chipper will deal with that stuff.

Out your way there are some good deals on big chippers. You get a 18" morbark self-feeding chipper and it will be all you can do to keep up with it. Something small in the 9-12" range will eat tops all day, get a little saw to cut stuff so it feeds, a big cooler full of water and have at it.

You don't want a "homeowner" grade joke of a chipper. If it isn't heavy, loud, and drinks lots of diesel it won't work. You might be able to rent one for the project.

Buy a chipper for 3/4 of an acre?

I'm clearing some forest on my property. I was burning the tree tops and brush until the county came and told me to stop. My neighbors are within 1000 ft so I can only have a 5x5x5 "ceremonial" fire. So, what are my options. I'm considering renting a dump truck and hauling it to the local drop off. A top load chipper would be great. I have a thump on my backhoe and could load it pretty fast. Does a top load chipper exist? I stander ed chipper would just take to long I think.

I'd cut everything down to 2" for firewood and then make brushpiles back in the woods for the varmints with the rest. It'll rot down in a couple yrs

dig a big hole and bury it, is the only other option.

the vermeer 6" chipper does ok on tops chokes a bit, but I rent one occasionally when full clean up is needed, out here we get mostly limbs though, the 12" proved to be less efficient partly because Hertz can't maintain anything or have something there when you reserved it.

burning it "slowly" takes less time then you might think, start a little circle of a fire, let it burn down then spend the day dragging brush to it, couple of friends/family and you can clear a 100' circle in a day while having fun, just be sure to paint a giant pentagram around it to keep the county off yer backs.

Also I'm a fan of lop and leave

Sounds like a few "ceremonial" fires are in order.
Bingo.

Take that Thumb and make several brush piles

Will they let you burn more in the winter?
I'd just go light one new one off each day and have some Smores with the kids ;)

about 3/4 of an acre for a back yard

my 3-1/2 acres in town has a 30 foot by 40 foot compost pile 8 ft high, has been there 42 years now, neighbors deposit their clippings there also.
Start your compost pile now, you will be happy decades from now. Added 13 full truckload to the compost pile from the neighborhood in the 1992 windstorm. Put a 4 ft piece of 15 in dia D Fir log at the bottom of the pile about 1974, all gone now.

I still cut anything above about 1-1/2" for firewood just out of habit, as used to heat 5300 sq ft with wood until DW said she is getting to old to want to cut and split 8 cords/year, so put in GSHP.

If it's such a small area (3/4 acre), then get hold of a cheap saw bench of some sort and just cut it up for firewood

You'll be amazed how much quicker it is to up small wood with a bench - stick 6 or 8 lengths on it at a time, and secure with a strap - then cut them all together - done in no time - leave the tiny stuff for your ceremonial fire

IMG_2967.JPG

dig a big hole and bury it, is the only other option.

the vermeer 6" chipper does ok on tops chokes a bit, but I rent one occasionally when full clean up is needed, out here we get mostly limbs though, the 12" proved to be less efficient partly because Hertz can't maintain anything or have something there when you reserved it.

burning it "slowly" takes less time then you might think, start a little circle of a fire, let it burn down then spend the day dragging brush to it, couple of friends/family and you can clear a 100' circle in a day while having fun, just be sure to paint a giant pentagram around it to keep the county off yer backs.

Only 3/4 of an acre? Then build a small fire that meets the law, and cut up and drag the tops. Invite people over for hot dogs. We've done that for eons around here. It isn't really that much work and all you need is a saw--even a pruning saw will do a lot and maybe some loppers. We call it "hand piling". Maybe you can even build a firepit in a hurry to make it more legalish.

My beef about deforestation is watching more and more acreage of working forest disappear when I drive west, into town. That's forest that won't be planted back, but will be leveled, and have homes built on it. What with that, and the fact that the public lands are getting more restrictions thrown on, the future is not looking all that great.

I've planted trees in my "backyard".

Latest posts

Back