Disposing of tree tops

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
about 3/4 of an acre for a back yard

my 3-1/2 acres in town has a 30 foot by 40 foot compost pile 8 ft high, has been there 42 years now, neighbors deposit their clippings there also.
Start your compost pile now, you will be happy decades from now. Added 13 full truckload to the compost pile from the neighborhood in the 1992 windstorm. Put a 4 ft piece of 15 in dia D Fir log at the bottom of the pile about 1974, all gone now.

I still cut anything above about 1-1/2" for firewood just out of habit, as used to heat 5300 sq ft with wood until DW said she is getting to old to want to cut and split 8 cords/year, so put in GSHP.

I use the 'slow' composting method, too.

Given time it all turns into humus and feeds the future.

Burning puts a lot of particles in the air and takes time to monitor.

When burning, one needs to "build the column". That means you need to keep the fire hot so the smoke goes up high and out of reach of the neighborhood.
That's a standard we used to strive for when broadcast burning. It made for less smoke for those of us who were holding line. I try to do this even when burning hand piles.....

The burn boss calls over the radio, "Pour on the fuel, get that column going!" I think one time we and Weyco had 4 mushroom clouds going NW of Morton.

Another thing about having a good column is that it gets the thing burning fast enough that it becomes oxygen-starved, which means it starts drawing air in from around it. This can be used to steer a running fire, or to halt the progress of a backing fire. In the case of piles, it will surely help keep them from spotting.

IMG_20160806_190720.jpg
anything under 3" gets nipped and piled to feed the next cycle and provide some animal habitat for small game

IMG_20160806_200546.jpg
over 3"dia gets sent to the firewood piles

one of these days ill invest in a chipper/shredder then the piles will get chipped and left to compost

Latest posts

Back