dissecting an earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That thing was definitely glowing. You may want to put a spark arrester on that thing?

That thing was definitely glowing. You may want to put a spark arrester on that thing?

shoot,, let it glow:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
heck seems there is a lot of people wanting this saw real bad,,, i would be more then happy to send it to someone for what i paid for it:biggrin::biggrin:

I also picked up one of these a couple of months ago just for giggles. I wound up getting a 41 cc Earthquake and the nearly identical Power Horse. Both of them were used and not in running condition but the price was right and I wanted something cheap to play with. Both needed fuel lines and a carb rebuild. The Earthquake had 155 psi and the Power Horse had almost 200! Neither one may hold up for very long, only time will tell, but the little Power Horse absolutely rips with a 16" b/c and a muffler mod. I was VERY surprised at how well it ran. I put two tanks through it as fast as I could and it ran like a champ.

The fit and finish on both of them leaves a little to be desired, but the A/V is pretty good. Both of these were well-used when I got them, so maybe they'll last for a while. I think some port work is in order just to see what they are capable of.

I also picked up one of these a couple of months ago just for giggles. I wound up getting a 41 cc Earthquake and the nearly identical Power Horse. Both of them were used and not in running condition but the price was right and I wanted something cheap to play with. Both needed fuel lines and a carb rebuild. The Earthquake had 155 psi and the Power Horse had almost 200! Neither one may hold up for very long, only time will tell, but the little Power Horse absolutely rips with a 16" b/c and a muffler mod. I was VERY surprised at how well it ran. I put two tanks through it as fast as I could and it ran like a champ.

The fit and finish on both of them leaves a little to be desired, but the A/V is pretty good. Both of these were well-used when I got them, so maybe they'll last for a while. I think some port work is in order just to see what they are capable of.

what is so funny,, after i did this thread he sold bunches of them,, so i wonder how many off AS bought 1 just for the heck of it

what is so funny,, after i did this thread he sold bunches of them,, so i wonder how many off AS bought 1 just for the heck of it

I did :msp_smile:

And after i'm done with it (modding it) it will be my loaner saw

$50 that's alot cheaper then what my nephew did to one of the saw's that in my barn right now (straight gassed it)

How many times have a member here went out and spent $50 on ONE dinner for two ?

$50 isn't even a night out for two; dinner and a movie $50

I did :msp_smile:

And after i'm done with it (modding it) it will be my loaner saw

$50 that's alot cheaper then what my nephew did to one of the saw's that in my barn right now (straight gassed it)

How many times have a member here went out and spent $50 on ONE dinner for two ?

$50 isn't even a night out for two; dinner and a movie $50

now that is just completely wrong brian,,, the wife and i can go out for a nice dinner for about 25,,, rent a movie for 3 :D:D:D
but you are right,, you can't buy a new saw for 50 even though it is a pos,, but i will say it does run good,, it will make a good loaner saw and limbing saw,, if it gets blown up i am not out much

How did you take the baffles out?, pliers and bent it all up then removed through the port opening? was it a good improvement, worth trying?, I have a very similar 52cc unit, different brand and carb ( these are made per request by a couple chinese companies, they all share parts and the biggest differences are in the OEM request colors and branding... )

Mine has a copied walbro carb but no prime bulb, which makes it quite hard to start compared to that redmax where you can start it off the first pull every time, then again that one has a real walbro in it. (Any tips on making it easier to start?)

No decomp valve and no prime bulb... bad combination for me, at least it's got good compression - for now - heheh

They may be #### but at least you can play and learn with them!

How did you take the baffles out?, pliers and bent it all up then removed through the port opening? was it a good improvement, worth trying?, I have a very similar 52cc unit, different brand and carb ( these are made per request by a couple chinese companies, they all share parts and the biggest differences are in the OEM request colors and branding... )

Mine has a copied walbro carb but no prime bulb, which makes it quite hard to start compared to that redmax where you can start it off the first pull every time, then again that one has a real walbro in it. (Any tips on making it easier to start?)

No decomp valve and no prime bulb... bad combination for me, at least it's got good compression - for now - heheh

They may be #### but at least you can play and learn with them!

i took the dremel with a cutting wheel and cut as much as i could,, then took a screwdriver and popped it loose then maneuvered it out,, had to do a little bit of bending on it but it came out after a couple of minutes

Was it worth the hassle at all?

yep,,,,50 dollar for a new loaner saw,, fun to tear apart to see how well it will tick,, now peoples curiosity is satisfied plus it took care of my cad and boredom for a day or 2 :msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

38cc of FURY!!

Got my 38cc viper powered earth trembler today. I ran right out to the wood pile after I realized that it ran....fired on the 2nd pull started on the first! WOW for forty bucks. Cut super slow on a sharp chain and got caught up a little but with finesse it is a runner!

It had never seen wood and looked brand new. Cant wait to pull the muffler after it cools down...i think it is a double d adjustment on the carb...gotta order a tool. I like this saw it works well for a little guy and will make the woodshark that my buddy has tremble with fear!

image-2.jpg

Got my 38cc viper powered earth trembler today. I ran right out to the wood pile after I realized that it ran....fired on the 2nd pull started on the first! WOW for forty bucks. Cut super slow on a sharp chain and got caught up a little but with finesse it is a runner!

It had never seen wood and looked brand new. Cant wait to pull the muffler after it cools down...i think it is a double d adjustment on the carb...gotta order a tool. I like this saw it works well for a little guy and will make the woodshark that my buddy has tremble with fear!

image-2.jpg

the adjusters on mine you can just use a screw driver,,, if you have the d shaped ones on that don't waste your money on the adjuster,, just notch the ends so you can use a straight blade screw driver
i noticed the same thing with mine,, easy to dog down before i did the mods and mild porting,, it helped it when i got done

Pro grade Viper

I pulled the most restrictive muffler in all of two strokes...
E8A0EA45-9B77-404E-8F7F-49C64A4A8D4E-4613-00000D232AEB5778.jpg

And I found....
E24317F0-AD7E-476E-A297-A90DC3A1DC78-4613-00000D233411C59E.jpg

So, since this is my first truly pro saw with that split case:laugh: And without the double d carb tool at 4700ft runnin rich...
3EBBE163-A462-47F2-9451-050ADE21CBB6-4613-00000D2310E2F92F.jpg

I did what any self respecting pro grade viper engined saw owner would...and I modded the muffler...
F1BBEB45-4462-4C27-AD19-CBE4F25A35FE-4613-00000D231BC750A9.jpg

That chunk to the side of the muffler was a guide that took up more space behind the two original slits that I cut out....this saw is much louder now but I cant cut till morning so I guess I will find out.

My saw has scoring on the front and back of the cylinder and on the piston. Still, it has no piston wobble and has 125 psi which is close to the 45cc's 130 I believe.

Yep; I can feel a Earthquake coming to the PNW at any time now :msp_wink:

Yep; I can feel a Earthquake coming to the PNW at any time now :msp_wink:

Yeah, my earthquake almost set the yellowstone cauldera off. What part of the great PNW are you from? I grew up in Seattle and am the son of an old growth logger, a legacy I will always chase.

Perfect loaner saw, it still looks better built than some of the "branded" crap we see come thru the shop. Some of the late import yellow brand comes to mind/seen some absolute crap in the Crapsman colors too. At least this thing has two rings, tygon line, decent carb, I may have to join the Viper Club and see what their all about, run her till she glows and blows.lol

Latest posts

Back