Disston/Mercury saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prentice110

SpongeBob Fap Pants
Reaction score
Read a thread about these saws and was wondering if there worth trying to get running. Pops passed away 2 years ago and I got his saw collection. Two Disstons. Before he died he claimed the one only needed some carb work, but Im sure this thing hasent been run since the early 60's. He said you could put the full weight of 2 men on it and it wouldnt slow it down. Helluva bar and chain on it. Still have the owners man too.:chainsaw:

I dug my great grandfathers Mall 6 out of the shed a couple of months ago for a GTG in Indiana...It didn't take anything but cleaning the points to get it running...Really neat old saws...I would try to get them running if it were me...

Here is the thread/video of the Mall running...

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=100364

My Dad passed away 5 years ago and I still have his Old Disston. When I was a kid, 10 to 12 years old, he did the tree maintenance at the National Zoo in DC. We took down some big trees inside some of the pens. He'd let me hold the handel bars and run the throttle and he'd pull the bar around. He went into business for himself in 72 or 73 and I don't think the saw had run for a couple years then. I used to pull the cord to see if it still had compression from time to time. The last time it was hard to pull and the recoil was real slow. I'm gonna give it a pull in the morning. I often thought of putting an electric motor on the transmision and bar to use for a mill, but as was stated those are some big teath. The chain on mine is brand new , never sharpend, and sharp. Good luck with yours, Joe.

Read a thread about these saws and was wondering if there worth trying to get running. Pops passed away 2 years ago and I got his saw collection. Two Disstons. Before he died he claimed the one only needed some carb work, but Im sure this thing hasent been run since the early 60's. He said you could put the full weight of 2 men on it and it wouldnt slow it down. Helluva bar and chain on it. Still have the owners man too.:chainsaw:

They are worth it if you've never ran one you need to. I got a DA-211 Disston Mercury and they are a blast to run. I could use some more of um(Hint hint).

I had a pair of projects saws ...but sent them out west to a arboristsite board member out there. They were fairly common in these parts...they turn up from time to time. If your interested I'll let you know when (Not if) I find another one...

Latest posts

Back