Disston Model 101

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen

Reaction score
Last year I purchased this 3.5hp saw with the intent to restore and hear it run some day. The no-start condition turned out to be a bad coil. If someone out there knows where and how much a coil for this historic beauty would be I would be very grateful to hear from you.

Thank you for your help.

Allen

All I know is that the engine is made by Mercury. Look at the coil and find out its manufacturer and any numbers on it. Somebody may be able to help you then, also many saws used similar coils. Good luck!

I have 4 of these saws. One is complete and the others I'm saving for parts. I also have a operators manual that goes into good detail about maintaining this saw. I could scan and e-mail sections you may have questions about. I haven't even checked any of mine for spark, but have seen other Disston (Merc) saws with bad coils. A friend of mine bought 2 new coils for his DA-211 (2-man 9hp). I think they were about $75.00 each. I might be able to find out were he got them.

coil

Hi Allen, Your question got me thinking about my Diston's again, so I pulled a couple out and checked for spark, none of them sparked. I thought I should do some looking for parts before I got into it too far. I found a site www.oldmercs.com it looks like they have everything you could need to restore a merc engine including coils, points, and fuel system gaskets. They only list the engines by boat motor models, but I think they should be able to help us figure out what we need. I want to get mine running by August so I'll let you know when I find the right part #'s. The coils they showed sell for $29.00. Scott

Back