DIY Burgers 90% or more lean

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Great looking London Broils were on sale, so I grabbed 2, a bit less then 7lbs. I coarse ground and stuffed 2lbs of Bacon Burger, 2lbs of Onion Burger, and 2lbs of Chipotle Burger. The Cabelas stuff bags are of the perfect diameter, to slice and then fit on my little George Foreman Grill, that I picked up at a garage sale the other day. Used once, and perfect for 1 or 2 people cooking. Good eating. :happybanana:

Great looking London Broils were on sale, so I grabbed 2, a bit less then 7lbs. I coarse ground and stuffed 2lbs of Bacon Burger, 2lbs of Onion Burger, and 2lbs of Chipotle Burger. The Cabelas stuff bags are of the perfect diameter, to slice and then fit on my little George Foreman Grill, that I picked up at a garage sale the other day. Used once, and perfect for 1 or 2 people cooking. Good eating. :happybanana:
This demands pics and details.

I printed out some recipes, but in the end I just improvised. Some salt here, some pepper, balsamic vinegar, Seasoning Salt, Oregano, etc. Just whatever looked and sounded right.

My 3 Cabelas stuff bags filled up fast, and left was about a pound of the Chipotle, now in a sandwich bag for a key ingredient to have with some noodles. Probably tomorrow.

Getting a grinder is a wonderful thing. Control the fat, the ingredients, and pick the meat (not whatever fell off the warehouse butcher table).

I have about 15 of these bags filled with Venison, from the 2015 deer. I could fill three or four times this, what is still solid muscle from the 2016 and the 2017 deer. I have yet to grind and stuff a mixed venison recipe. I just mix as I cook, and it is incredible.

This demands pics and details.

If you Have deep freeze ( with out auto defrost) storage it is the best way to go. Ground meat from the store- very short storage time in standard refrig. due to the fat content going rancid even with a setting of apx 36 deg F. Even the 7% fat stuff.

I learned this wrapping game meat, in freezing beef, air is the enemy. Shrink wrap, such that all the air is OUT, and then another wrap to protect. I have recently opened and eaten some N.Y. Steaks from 2015. Still good, with no hint of freezer burn.

And IMO, vacuum bagging does not last. Looks great on TV Infomercials, but does not live up to the hype. Personally, I've tried vacuum bagging and I have bought professionally vacuum bagged beef from Omaha Steaks and they do not last, as air gets in.

If you Have deep freeze ( with out auto defrost) storage it is the best way to go. Ground meat from the store- very short storage time in standard refrig. due to the fat content going rancid even with a setting of apx 36 deg F. Even the 7% fat stuff.

For deer and game, I've used the same method for years and it works great. First wrap with clear plastic wrap, and fold/seal it up well, then wrap with a layer of freezer paper and use tape to close. I've eaten venison roasts that were 4+ years old wrapped this way, and maybe one tiny sliver of freezer burn that I had to trim off. The rest of it was fine and looked as good as the day I froze it.

I use vacuum bags -- but only for stuff like tuna and other fish. My trick for that (to avoid sucking fish juice into the vacuum pump) is to cut tuna into steaks, then wrap in fold-over sandwich bags, then freeze on a cookie sheet, then vacuum bag...works great. Also, most fish will benefit from having some lemon juice on it before freezing. Apparently there's an enzyme in fish that degrades into something else – which tastes bad – but lemon juice prevents or delays this enzyme breaking down.

Latest posts

Back