Do I fall these together or separately?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlatinumGroup-CHASE

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got these (2) Maples that have to go. Should I fall them together or do the one on the right first then the left? They need to go over with the lean (maybe slight side lean), from left of the picture to the right. If I do the domino thing, how much holding wood should I leave on the right one? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 58
I would likely; make the face cut, then bore cut your backcut. Watch for baberchair, but the bore cut should take care of that hopefully. I would high stump each side as much as you are comfortable.Watch the root structure carefully. Once you drop one side, you may find the entire root wad lifts out of the ground. So don't be standing around close to it.....

*This is how I would do it, im not a professional anymore. You can kill yourself trying this. I assume no responsiblity for any actions based off this post.

Hard to tell from the picture...how high is that split? If It is only 3-4', I'd treat each as entirely separate trees. Fell the right one, then the left once the right is out of the way. If they are attached with a good solid attachment at 3' high, I'd go as low as possible and fell them as one, realizing they will split apart when the hit the ground (so be out of the way!)

Hard to tell from the picture...how high is that split? If It is only 3-4', I'd treat each as entirely separate trees. Fell the right one, then the left once the right is out of the way. If they are attached with a good solid attachment at 3' high, I'd go as low as possible and fell them as one, realizing they will split apart when the hit the ground (so be out of the way!)

The picture leaves out the bottom portion of the butt. Which is pretty important for trying to evaluate a felling procedure..... i agree, if there is alot of solid stump below the pic that isn't shown, send'm both at the same time.

Thanks for the advice guys. I included another picture because the first one was not showing the ground/stump. As you can see, big rock and a pile of stacked brush 8ft tall! on Jeff Gu's drawing cut number 1 is about 10ft off the ground, any suggestions without spurs?

Attachments

• unnamed1.jpg
    unnamed1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 30
Yeah, if you don't climb that's kind of a problem with that. A ladder is out of the question.
Some guys can safely cut from the bucket of a loader, as long as you can position to still have an escape path.

I would put the face cut between 4 and 5 on Jeff's pic and fall the right one first. Then that stump as low as possible without cutting the left one. Then fall the left one.

Pull that brush pile out of there first.

I wouldn't worry about barberchair, when you make your back cut, don't stop and admire it half way through. Power through. If you are really concerned, put a ratchet strap around the stem, it's easier than a bore cut.

As I said, that's how I would do it. Your mileage may vary.

I'd do that except bore cut...I think that is easier than a strap. We each have our own preferences. But this is not the tree to learn on. Not that it looks too difficult, but not a lot of room to operate.

hard to say not being there looking at it. Based on the pics I’d stand on the rock and fall the right tree were they split (line 5). Once the right tree was down I’d cut the stump at line 8 to the middle split (doesn’t look like they are grown together that well?) might have to hit it with a axe, but bet it would separate. After that, I’d take the left tree right between line 7 and 8.

Regardless how you do it, I wouldn’t take them together. Good luck.

hard to say not being there looking at it. Based on the pics I’d stand on the rock and fall the right tree were they split (line 5). Once the right tree was down I’d cut the stump at line 8 to the middle split (doesn’t look like they are grown together that well?) might have to hit it with a axe, but bet it would separate. After that, I’d take the left tree tight between line 7 and 8.

Regardless how you do it, I wouldn’t take them together. Good luck.
Your not the same Busheler as in the youtube channel Busheler are you? I love that channel.

Your not the same Busheler as in the youtube channel Busheler are you? I love that channel.

No I’m not, but I know him. He used to cut for Columbia Helicopters with my dad in SE AK. I work with him now in the oil field in AK. He’s a crazy dude, and likes to put on a show, but really is a good guy lol.

No I’m not, but I know him. He used to cut for Columbia Helicopters with my dad in SE AK. I work with him now in the oil field in AK. He’s a crazy dude, and likes to put on a show, but really is a good guy lol.
No sh!t? wow. That's great. He's got some epic videos, one called "The Best There is". Love that one. Anyway, you be careful up there in AK. I had a spot on a gill net boat out of AK but never made it up there. Wish I could have.

Thanks for the advice guys. I included another picture because the first one was not showing the ground/stump. As you can see, big rock and a pile of stacked brush 8ft tall! on Jeff Gu's drawing cut number 1 is about 10ft off the ground, any suggestions without spurs?
From the photo that rock looks like it could be moved and it might be easier and safer then to cut low and fell everything at once. I'd bring in my tractor and try it, and push that pile of brush clear of the tree while I was at it. If I did not have a tractor and did not want to rent one, I'd try putting a chain around the rock and drag with my truck.

Latest posts

Back