Do NOT buy Joncutter bars!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The good old near enough is good enough quality control! :eek:
We have some clever clogs over here importing container loads of bars with various brand names- all from the same country, sometimes they offer them up with chains from the same country- but this outfit are trying to offload them at near the same price as some of the better known quality brands from those other reputable countries!
I found some new old stock Carlton bars, so snapped up a few of those and some Sugi Hara's at a very reasonable price. Biggest pain in the butt here is nobody is bringing in the Sugi lite Pro bars- can only get the Pro Solid and when you get past 30"- solid is pretty solid! :surprised3:

Can you post a pic of stamped I.D numbers on bar pls? To be sure-to-be-sure the bar is the problem here. .067 is not uncommon for an .063 bar. If it were 063 the chain wouldn't turn. Its either packaged wrong, stamped wrong, hung on the wrong rack or dealer mixed up bars with cardboard sleeves. 'If' the chincy bar has I.D codes stamped we'll know where the mistake was made. I don't believed this to be a tolerance mistake, most likely its a human error along the supply chain. Usually 063 is used on Stihl mounts but I've got 063 husky mount AM bars from Tsumura etc. What mount is it?

i agree with others, it does not sound like a QC issue, the groove measurement sounds correct... for a .063 bar, that was mistaken for a .058 bar.

Recently I tried a cheaper bar from Australia and it was also too loose. Supposed to be .050" and was just over .060". I bought .058 gauge chains for it and thought I was good to go.......on the first outing the roller nose sprocket locked up solid leaving the bar useless.

The only good news is that the seller provided a second bar free of charge when I told them the first one required .058" gauge chain, so I still have a spare but haven't ran it yet to see how well it's going to hold up........Cliff

Can you post a pic of stamped I.D numbers on bar pls? To be sure-to-be-sure the bar is the problem here. .067 is not uncommon for an .063 bar. If it were 063 the chain wouldn't turn. Its either packaged wrong, stamped wrong, hung on the wrong rack or dealer mixed up bars with cardboard sleeves. 'If' the chincy bar has I.D codes stamped we'll know where the mistake was made. I don't believed this to be a tolerance mistake, most likely its a human error along the supply chain. Usually 063 is used on Stihl mounts but I've got 063 husky mount AM bars from Tsumura etc. What mount is it?

The bars are clearly marked .058.
I have a well used bar of high quality and it only has .003 clearance. If someone in a store tried to sell me a bar with .004 clearance I would not accept it. A bar with .009 clearance is at the point where I consider throwing them away. Expecting to even get enough use out of a bar with this clearance to run out the life of one chain is wishful thinking.
I contacted Huztl and this was their response:

"In response, we discussed with our technicist, and confirm the bar couldn't affect using, pls have a try, thanks."

Really? Maybe using for display, I don't use bars with AK-47 manufacturing tolerances.
I was actually thinking of buying one of the Joncutter saws because of the good reviews, but now I won't because of the experience with these.

Attachments

• IMG_20191227_111916.jpg
    IMG_20191227_111916.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 29
Are these .325 bars?
The bars that came with my Chinese timberpro saw (16 and 20 inch) are garbage. I used the 16 for a bit then the nose sprocket blew its bearing out, it only lasted a few tanks of gas and never did a single bore cut. I haven't used the 20 enough to kill it yet but don't expect it to last long, I use it for stumps or filthy wood that will eat up my good bars/chains. The crappy part is I wasted some money buying good chains for it that wont fit other bars as they're a weird length, more like a 19 inch bar. The crappy, heavy 20 inch Chinese bar is less than a inch longer than the much lighter, better 18 inch speed cut bar lol.
After getting crap bars with the timberpro, I was kinda glad my joncutter came without a bar, I put a Oregon on it.

Wasn’t planning to buy them. Life is too short to buy cheap crap, or off-brand crap, in order to save a dollar.

It depends on what you’re doing. I have bought loads of Harbor Freight tools over the years and a couple of Huztl saws as well. For a one off project, sometimes it’s just best to buy a cheap but adequate tool for the job. During the winter time with my day job I often use HF hand tools. It gets dark here at 4:30 this time of year and working outside, sometimes until 9:00 pm, it’s easy to occasionally lose a tool. I don’t bother returning for lost HF tools. If I lost something made by Klein though, that’d be an extra trip back to retrieve it.

I have a collection of cheap marginal power tools as well that I will leave at a job site because I’m not worried about them being stolen.

Also, I’ve bought a few cheap Chinese clones as hobby projects. Recreational turd polishing. They almost never measure up to what the original would have been, but most of the time you can turn them into something pretty decent.

Don’t get me wrong though, most of the time I don’t want to bother with subpar tools, but they do have their place.

I have a well used bar of high quality and it only has .003 clearance. If someone in a store tried to sell me a bar with .004 clearance I would not accept it. A bar with .009 clearance is at the point where I consider throwing them away. Expecting to even get enough use out of a bar with this clearance to run out the life of one chain is wishful thinking.

"In response, we discussed with our technicist, and confirm the bar couldn't affect using, pls have a try, thanks."

Really? Maybe using for display, I don't use bars with AK-47 manufacturing tolerances.
I was actually thinking of buying one of the Joncutter saws because of the good reviews, but now I won't because of the experience with these.

JonCutter rearranged is utterJonC (utterjunk)

This isn't surprising anyone on this site.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they produce all their bars with the same groove and just stamp them for whatever size they need more of at the moment.

.058 chains will run in that bar without much issue...and 99% of people that buy bars like that won't know the difference and won't care. The people selling those bars knows who they're selling to. Most of their clients have very little chainsaw knowledge at all. Hence the reason they're buying knock offs. Even people that know the difference are willing to accept junk because of the price they paid.

Pics of I.D on bar? You have high quality bars that have 003" clearance which your happy with but would reject 004" :rolleyes:. Well my advice would be to pay for good quality & stop buying your bars from Hutzl which is no surprise come from PRC. But you still haven't put up ID pics, your telling people NOT to buy a certain product, is it unreasonable to provide proof to back it up. I still think you have an 063 bar that is well within tolerance @067"....prove me WRONG.

Back