Do the MS260 & MS261 use the same muffler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwi Kauri

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post. I'm from New Zealand and my inlaws bought a Stihl MS261 over for me one thier last visit. It was 60% cheaper to by in Illinois and fly over with it than buying it at the Stihl dealer in town!
Its the 4th chainsaw I have owned and is by far the best I have ever used.
I have been reading up here and watching youtube on porting the muffler and want to try it. I want to get a second muffler so I don't ruin the original and cheaper aftermarket is fine for experimenting on. If I port the muffler the local Stihl say they won't service it in the future and to that end they won't sell me a spare. There are less options here for parts and its crazy because Kiwi's a chainsaw mad especially for milling slabs.
Because my inlaws are in the States can anyone tell me a good place to get a second muffle for the MS261. I wondered if the MS260 used the same muffler?
Does anyone sell pre-ported mufflers? Seems like a nice business idea?
All help appreciated - The US seems to be the best source of expertise. If you ever need to know how to do something with nothing maybe you could ask me?
Cheers

Thanks for the advice so far. Not sure what "Splitting in" is and wonder if I know enough to try porting a spare muffler should I ever find one. Does anyone know of a guy who sells ported mufflers?

Back