Do to or not to do, that is the question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

660luv

Reaction score
I can't really say this is where this post needs to go. But on the other side of what i'm asking, I somewhat think I have talked to enough people and seen the good and bad. I'm 30 living in oakland county Michigan.
I've been working for a small family owned tree service. Going on my 3rd season with full time work every year. I'm great with my hands and enjoy a good challenge. I'm bassically asking for some serious in depth help on if continuing in this line of work can offer what I believe I need. There are a couple variables. First is my license. 2 DUI's that were within 3 months of each other. I basically got a huge tax return and thought I could quit my job and stay at my grandparents cabin for a winter while they were in Florida. Didn't turn out the way I wanted. So that is my first huge issue. No big company will even look at me with two DUI'S or will they. I still am in the process of getting a hearing and going through a program to get my license back. I am off probation and these took place in 2013. I took jail time over doing the probation, I never completed counseling/aa meetings. 45 days in jail seemed good to me rather than 3 years probation and fines. I will not be able to bring my license current within the next 8-12 months. Minimum. And with those charges and many previous misdemeanour charges. It is extremely difficult to find a job, let alone a career. No felonies or violent charges. Which I guess is how I found this line of work.

I was very pleased that a company would take me on without a license, and now going on my third year with them. I will be a starting as a climber this season. I have done multiply side jobs all successful, and climb on the side for all my family tree needs. Which seems to grow every year. I have invested a little over $3,000 into my own saws and rigging equipment for my side jobs. With doing those, I have been able break even on my purchases. Here's the main questions I need answered.

Can I raise a large family on these wages? <------Big one.
I am single and have no children. But as I get older, i'm actually enjoying my friends children and thinking the one night stands should be over.
I hear that Davey will offer some type of stock benefits? Is that true/worth it?
Will my DUI's allow me to get a job if my license was cleared?
I'm not all about money, but I would like my family to be able to enjoy ORV's, a nice camper, small boat, and maybe a nice christmas present every year.
Can I afford a new vehicle?
Is $60,000/year ever possible?
I don't want to rely on my wife for an income when raising are family.
Is there a possibility of actually retiring in the tree service, comfortably?
What type of insurance can I get if I started my own business with DUI's?
I do understand there are training/certifications with the ISA. I would continue looking into those as i'm eligible for the testings. I believe those are a mandatory thing when pursuing the career.
After this year I would be able to get my first certification I believe with the ISA. 3 years of work for a certified arborist. Yes, I know that's just the basic one too.

If there are more no's than yeses. I believe I have no other choice then to return to college ASAP. Which is something I have had a issue with ever since i was 20. I also pay on a couple outstanding debts. Returning to college would mean finding part-time/1 day a week work and deferring many loans/ debts leaving my credit un-usable.

Tough to find good wages anywhere these days even with a college degree. You can typically get hired by the big utility contractors without a drivers license. You just need a ride to the pull out location. The foreman typically drives the company truck.

You can probably make close to 40K with over time if you can climb. You'll likely be living in motels, won't see that big family much during the week. I think most tree guys today just enjoy being outdoors, mainly so they can smoke all day. Few consider it a great career, but some take pride in it. Good luck.

Back