• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Do tree stumps continue to grow?

Tree94

Tree94

ArboristSite Operative
Went and looked at a mesquite tree removal today.
Customer mainly wants it gone because the roots are starting to grow into the septic.

After cutting down to stump. Will the root system continue to grow?
What can i do to prevent future growth?

Thanks,
Russ

Pelorus

Pelorus

Uva uvam vivendo varia fit
I'm unfamiliar with mesquite, apart from mesquite-flavoured BBQ chips.
However, Barron Rector from Texas A&M (seems like a nice fellow) says:

"If the mesquite is cut down to the soil surface and above the ground surface, mesquite trees or shrubs always come back as cutting the top of the plant off only stimulates the plant activate buds below ground for sending up new stems. Mesquite is reported to actually be only a single trunk or stem plant, but mowing, chopping and bull dozing can make the mesquite into an 18 stem shrub."

He goes on to say that applying herbicide mixed with diesel fuel to the stump after you whack the tree is the way to go. I think googling "mesquite stump growth" or something like that would help ye.

mikewhite85

mikewhite85

ArboristSite Guru
Website
www.treemasterllc.com
You could use roundup concentrate on the freshly cut stump. it's not a guarantee though. Some customers are very concerned about this. Diesel fuel would scare me a little bit due to ecological concerns.

You're better off charging extra to grind the stump as deep as possible. I usually gave 2 price options- 1. Grind stump below grade 2. Grind 12-16" below grade. It's always better to be very clear about it on the outset. I learned the hard way a few times.

Oldmaple

Oldmaple

Addicted to ArboristSite
The roots will continue to grow until the food reserves run out. If the plant isn't allowed to resprout it can't produce food, thus it will eventually starve.

Reactions: ATH
CalTreeEquip

CalTreeEquip

ArboristSite Guru
I have seen solo 24" Fir stumps completely callused over. This happens because the roots are grafted to other Fir tree in the forest.

capetrees

capetrees

Tree Freak
Locust will regrow also, not only from the stump but from the root stems. As the old saying goes, cut down one locust, 20 pop up for the funeral.

Reactions: ATH