Do tree stumps continue to grow?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree94

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Went and looked at a mesquite tree removal today.
Customer mainly wants it gone because the roots are starting to grow into the septic.

After cutting down to stump. Will the root system continue to grow?
What can i do to prevent future growth?

Thanks,
Russ

If you want to be safe, herbicide the stump right after you make the final cut. Let that fester a week or two before grinding it and the roots will be toast.

I'm unfamiliar with mesquite, apart from mesquite-flavoured BBQ chips.
However, Barron Rector from Texas A&M (seems like a nice fellow) says:

"If the mesquite is cut down to the soil surface and above the ground surface, mesquite trees or shrubs always come back as cutting the top of the plant off only stimulates the plant activate buds below ground for sending up new stems. Mesquite is reported to actually be only a single trunk or stem plant, but mowing, chopping and bull dozing can make the mesquite into an 18 stem shrub."

He goes on to say that applying herbicide mixed with diesel fuel to the stump after you whack the tree is the way to go. I think googling "mesquite stump growth" or something like that would help ye.

You could use roundup concentrate on the freshly cut stump. it's not a guarantee though. Some customers are very concerned about this. Diesel fuel would scare me a little bit due to ecological concerns.

You're better off charging extra to grind the stump as deep as possible. I usually gave 2 price options- 1. Grind stump below grade 2. Grind 12-16" below grade. It's always better to be very clear about it on the outset. I learned the hard way a few times.

I have seen solo 24" Fir stumps completely callused over. This happens because the roots are grafted to other Fir tree in the forest.

Back