Do we need to have a Georgia GTG?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
Date: Saturday, Sept 20, 2014 9:00am to dark.
Location: Concord, GA 30206 (about equidistant between Atlanta, Macon and Columbus Georgia)
Event will take place rain or shine as provision will be made for shelter.
This will be an alcohol free event.
Self contained RVs can be accommodated. If you're going to arrive on Friday, pm to advise.
Sailplane rides will be available (weather permitting) Cost will be $75 and includes the glider, pilot, tow plane and pilot and tow to 2000' above the ground. (max weight for passenger is 225 lbs) advise me by pm if you're interested in a glider ride so I can make arrangements.

Directions to the event:
From the North: South of Atlanta on I-75 get off on exit 235 (highway 19/41). Go south until past Griffin and then turn right (by an Ingles store) to stay on hwy 19. In the town of Zebulon, take a right at the only traffic light onto highway 18. about 3 miles out of town there will be a golf course on the left side of the road. At the end of the golf course is a dirt road called Fossett Rd. Turn left and follow the signs to 523 Green Street. (most GPS units will not be accurate in this area).

From the South: North from Macon and take the Forsyth exit (Highway 18). Turn left and follow GA highway 18 to Zebulon and then see above directions.

From the west, Highway 18 to the town of Concord. In the small town are two gas stations. Turn on the road that goes BETWEEN the gas stations. That is Green Street. About 2 miles on the right will be the GTG site (523 Green Street). Look for green signs.
Contact phone: 770-584-9020

GTG's are about lots of saws, making and renewing friendships, eating and cutting cookies on big logs. If you have it in NW Georgia or NE Alabama it would be within my range.

It would be fun. I'd like to have one here, but I don't own this place. I can have a visitor, but not a dozen/two dozen, etc. If I *did* own it, I'd have two a year. ha!

Maybe at some campgrounds, private maybe? I don't know. Thought about it a lot before, but sorta stumped as to location.

go for it guys. we are having our first one here in central PA an we still don't have a clue how its gonna come off. well at least me.:laugh: you already have a start,your talking about it. good luck.

Been thinking about these regional gtgs going on around the country and thinking maybe we should have one for Georgia and east Alabama. I know diddly about gtg stuff as I've never attended one but it seems like that a bunch of people get together with their chainsaws, run some saws they don't own (yet) and eat stuff. Is that a good description or am I missing some components?

I personally don't own anything "cool" but wouldn't mind running someone else's cool stuff. What do all ya'll think?

Where/what area of Ga. Would it be at ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will need to have a large enough area to accommodate everyone. There needs to be room for parking, an area to step up all the logs and an are for eating and relaxing. Probably need a portable toilet as well if no facilities are near by.

Folks like big wood, typically some logs 30" or better. Some cants 8"x8" or 10"x10" for racing and a stand to strap them to. A grill for some burgers and dogs is nice as well.

Takes time (and money) to get it set up properly. The attendees kick in to defray the costs (I have done between $20-$50 depending on the circumstances).

The biggest initial hurdles are finding a host, securing a source for the wood and setting a date.

Logs that large can be a bit of a logistical challenge to move... I had some like that. They're all firewood now...
yes you need to have to be able to get it moved around.there is always someone with a skid loader or backhoe and a trailer.
2014-04-2113.33.32.jpg .this is the piece i scrounged up for sat. it was a challenge to get that puppy loaded.

A camping area is nice, if you want people for more than a day. The PNW one is very well done. I went to one in Montana where we stayed at a boy scout camp. Fallers
(real, genuine professionals) fell hazard trees and the rest of us yarded and cut up the trees they fell. The same has been done in a campground in CA. You do have to know who actually is a faller, especially for hazard trees in camping areas.

I might could host one in the fall. I have 5 acres and a couple big oaks that need to come down that could be used for fun. The wife would be more than happy to play hostess and a couple butts on the big green egg could feed a small army.

Back