Do y’all run a top handle one handed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a follow up to that... the true danger of one handing a top handle is controlling kickback, and the fact that you potentially have your free hand in the plane of the chain... learn what causes kickback and how to avoid it, and make sure your free hand doesn't cross the plane of the cut, and it is safe...

As far as that goes, I'd rather run a 200T with one hand than I would close-hitched to a tree with my left hand holding the saw by the side handle; well out of the protected zone of "going to hit the blade-brake path" to my face. Sometimes swapping left for right hands is a big improvement.

It doesn't happen often, but I'll bet you've been there if you were in a tree very much.

As far as that goes, I'd rather run a 200T with one hand than I would close-hitched to a tree with my left hand holding the saw by the side handle; well out of the protected zone of "going to hit the blade-brake path" to my face. Sometimes swapping left for right hands is a big improvement.

It doesn't happen often, but I'll bet you've been there if you were in a tree very much.
Yes, the rules change tied in twice...its just different up there...

One thing I have is "rules for when I'm breaking rules".. Yup, guilty as charged, I run the top handle with one hand. But.. as I said, I've got rules for doing that.

1) Yup.. I'll trim a tree I've felled with the top handle. But, only if I'm on the other side of the trunk. Kick back would miss me, Trunk protects me from my stupidity in case I miss seeing something that is dangerous..

2) Always a straight arm, no bends at the elbow. Ever. Stops ( to a point) , of kickback. I also run a low kickback chain.. doesn't cut as fast as the saw is capable of, but is safer to operate.

3) Gear.. chaps, gloves, ear protection, eye protection. foot protection. I don't care if it's hot, and I'm sweating like a pig.. **** ain't meant to be comfortable, it's meant to protect me from myself.

4) When I run a job with a crew, no one gets to use any saw one handed. I only do that when I'm doing something small by myself. I won't be a bad example. The only exception is if I've hired a climbing Arborist. Up in the tree, it's his call. I might not say anything, but then again, I might not have him as the first on to call for.

5) No drop starting the saw with anyone around. I don't want to encourage anyone to think that if I did it, it must be O.K. for them to do too.

Back