• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Do y’all run a top handle one handed?

STIHL the BEST

STIHL the BEST

Shiny new Member. Only dropped once...
I've found when I cut a branch stump clean off with my silky, there's always a follow-through. No matter how light I go on the last bit, the saw invariably follows through. This bothers me, as there is potential to damage lanyard or rope if its in the path of the follow through. By the way, I am exerting virtually zero pressure in the cut, just pull strokes. Now, on the other hand, with my battery top handle, there is no follow through. One handing, maybe a tiny bit, two hands, zero. Anyone else experience this and have any thoughts?
I’m a very particular person...

A Silky is designed for a very particular purpose.

They work very well.

In your instance, if it bothers you a bit, maybe try positioning your lanyard or rope a little further away from the intended cut area.

Or, try taking it very easy at the end of the cut.

It may just be a little too good at ripping through the wood for the precise results you’re aiming for.
A little finesse goes a long way.

I am NOT implying that you are hacking away like a madman.
Just suggesting that this instance may require you to modify your technique a bit.
:chop:

STIHL the BEST

derwoodii

derwoodii

Tree Freak
Website
www.arboristsite.com
I dont one hand top handles as personally dont care for top handles i much prefer standard saw up a tree.. Sure I'll one hand a saw but its bar is kept further way from my hands and if i need to i'll rope or retask to piece out parts not just cut ever closer to my pinkys.. been doin this for 39 years not saw cut a finger on either hand and i plumb used up my bag of luck 29 years ago

69264047_1363282517171748_3633061996158517248_n.jpg

this guy does one hand & notice the hits to the hand and which hand is it ??
oh and gee no hits the other hand and which hand is on the throttle if yer as most predominately right handed..

chain_body.gif

might prove leftys are luckier smarter or safer up a tree

STIHL the BEST

STIHL the BEST

I dont one hand top handles as personally dont care for top handles i much prefer standard saw up a tree.. Sure I'll one hand a saw but its bar is kept further way from my hands and if i need to i'll rope or retask to piece out parts not just cut ever closer to my pinkys.. been doin this for 39 years not saw cut a finger on either hand and i plumb used up my bag of luck 29 years ago

View attachment 761447

this guy does one hand & notice the hits to the hand and which hand is it ??
oh and gee no hits the other hand and which hand is on the throttle if yer as most predominately right handed..

View attachment 761446

might prove leftys are luckier smarter or safer up a tree
Indeed.
Facts don’t lie.
It’s a dangerous trade we ply...

STIHL the BEST

treebilly

treebilly

ArboristSite Guru
Silky’s have the blood lust of a hungry vampire. I’ve seen more injuries ( some very severe) from their thirst than I ever have from a chainsaw.
As to the one handing of a top handle. That is not why they are designed that way. They are designed for being compact. In my early years I did it constantly. Now that I’m older, I’m wiser and fully grasp the fact that that machine can kill me in an instant. I still do it on rare occasions, but I’m also put in situations where a secondary tie in for work positioning is not viable. My secondary tie in is a break away lanyard quite often. I’m still working safe and I’ve had plenty of training to know when I need to do this.

STIHL the BEST

STIHL the BEST

I always wear gloves when pruning now. You an pick out the teeth marks on my pinkie finger. No stitches though.
Copy that...

I always wear gloves when anything sharp is in my hands. (Almost always)
Just last night as I was folding up a Silky Accel 240mm, (I was just inspecting the blade and not working, or wearing my gloves...) I almost folded the blade closed on my fingers that were wrapped around the handle.

I know damn well it’s sharp.
You know damn well it’s sharp.
We all know damn well it’s sharp...

But I was just quickly looking it over and then going right back to the kids running around the house and that momentary lapse in focus and safe handling practices almost caused me some discomfort.

It happens just like that...

When we are not focusing on being safe, stuff just happens.

STIHL the BEST

STIHL the BEST

STIHL the BEST

i cut one handed when i get a scratchy or itchy in my shorts or flip flops
:laughing:
Where the heck can I get some of those climbing flip flops?

I understand the scratchy itchy in your trousers...
I had a bunch front and back in my shirt today.

But I’d love some tree climbing flip flops. Well Crocs without the heel strap thingy and I want open toes. I think they call ‘em slides...
How does that work with your spurs...?

:dumb:

STIHL the BEST