Do y’all run a top handle one handed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found when I cut a branch stump clean off with my silky, there's always a follow-through. No matter how light I go on the last bit, the saw invariably follows through. This bothers me, as there is potential to damage lanyard or rope if its in the path of the follow through. By the way, I am exerting virtually zero pressure in the cut, just pull strokes. Now, on the other hand, with my battery top handle, there is no follow through. One handing, maybe a tiny bit, two hands, zero. Anyone else experience this and have any thoughts?

I’m a very particular person...

A Silky is designed for a very particular purpose.

They work very well.

In your instance, if it bothers you a bit, maybe try positioning your lanyard or rope a little further away from the intended cut area.

Or, try taking it very easy at the end of the cut.

It may just be a little too good at ripping through the wood for the precise results you’re aiming for.
A little finesse goes a long way.

I am NOT implying that you are hacking away like a madman.
Just suggesting that this instance may require you to modify your technique a bit.
:chop:

STIHL the BEST

I dont one hand top handles as personally dont care for top handles i much prefer standard saw up a tree.. Sure I'll one hand a saw but its bar is kept further way from my hands and if i need to i'll rope or retask to piece out parts not just cut ever closer to my pinkys.. been doin this for 39 years not saw cut a finger on either hand and i plumb used up my bag of luck 29 years ago

69264047_1363282517171748_3633061996158517248_n.jpg

this guy does one hand & notice the hits to the hand and which hand is it ??
oh and gee no hits the other hand and which hand is on the throttle if yer as most predominately right handed..

chain_body.gif

might prove leftys are luckier smarter or safer up a tree

I dont one hand top handles as personally dont care for top handles i much prefer standard saw up a tree.. Sure I'll one hand a saw but its bar is kept further way from my hands and if i need to i'll rope or retask to piece out parts not just cut ever closer to my pinkys.. been doin this for 39 years not saw cut a finger on either hand and i plumb used up my bag of luck 29 years ago

View attachment 761447

this guy does one hand & notice the hits to the hand and which hand is it ??
oh and gee no hits the other hand and which hand is on the throttle if yer as most predominately right handed..

View attachment 761446

might prove leftys are luckier smarter or safer up a tree

Indeed.
Facts don’t lie.
It’s a dangerous trade we ply...

STIHL the BEST

Silky’s have the blood lust of a hungry vampire. I’ve seen more injuries ( some very severe) from their thirst than I ever have from a chainsaw.
As to the one handing of a top handle. That is not why they are designed that way. They are designed for being compact. In my early years I did it constantly. Now that I’m older, I’m wiser and fully grasp the fact that that machine can kill me in an instant. I still do it on rare occasions, but I’m also put in situations where a secondary tie in for work positioning is not viable. My secondary tie in is a break away lanyard quite often. I’m still working safe and I’ve had plenty of training to know when I need to do this.

Silky’s have the blood lust of a hungry vampire. I’ve seen more injuries ( some very severe) from their thirst than I ever have from a chainsaw.
I always wear gloves when pruning now. You an pick out the teeth marks on my pinkie finger. No stitches though.

I always wear gloves when pruning now. You an pick out the teeth marks on my pinkie finger. No stitches though.

Copy that...

I always wear gloves when anything sharp is in my hands. (Almost always)
Just last night as I was folding up a Silky Accel 240mm, (I was just inspecting the blade and not working, or wearing my gloves...) I almost folded the blade closed on my fingers that were wrapped around the handle.

I know damn well it’s sharp.
You know damn well it’s sharp.
We all know damn well it’s sharp...

But I was just quickly looking it over and then going right back to the kids running around the house and that momentary lapse in focus and safe handling practices almost caused me some discomfort.

It happens just like that...

When we are not focusing on being safe, stuff just happens.

STIHL the BEST

i cut one handed when i get a scratchy or itchy in my shorts or flip flops

:laughing:
Where the heck can I get some of those climbing flip flops?

I understand the scratchy itchy in your trousers...
I had a bunch front and back in my shirt today.

But I’d love some tree climbing flip flops. Well Crocs without the heel strap thingy and I want open toes. I think they call ‘em slides...
How does that work with your spurs...?

:dumb:

STIHL the BEST

Limbing one-handed from a ladder is like playing Russian roulette with a Colt 45 auto...just sayin
Come on, don't exaggerate. Its more like Russian roulette with a revolver that has 5 chambers loaded. Its not a guaranteed accident, but the odds are most definitely not in your favor.

Is a top handle made to run one handed? Seems like a safety issue, but it also says to drop start it on the instructions. After 2 tanks through my poulan 180 I’m wondering. Little sucker beat me up. But I did a lot of trimming off a ladder and got good and high. 2 full loads of limbs gone and place looks a lot better.
The issue is not one handing it. The issue is that you were using it on a ladder. Not cool man. Last fall I had a neighbor who had a dying Branch hanging over his driveway, and crawled up into the tree on a ladder and cut it with his tiny Echo chainsaw.

Limbing one-handed from a ladder is like playing Russian roulette with a Colt 45 auto...just sayin
Yep. I'm 13 and back before I had my chainsaw, I went down to help one of my neighbors with my GTA 26. My dad came along too and helped with the ladder, my neighbor was up in the tree with a tiny Echo homeowner saw. The guy wasn't even on the ladder. He had sandwiched himself in between a crown on the tree. It's funny that this dude was an ex-fire fighter and he probably could have called the ladder truck to help him. I'm pretty sure that the fire and rescue saws could probably do a better job. Even though that the local ones do run the depth gauge.

Good afternoon, I have a Stihl 192TC, too answer your question, it depends on what type of cut are you planning to make. I do my cutting while standing on the ground, ( to old for tree climbing) If your cutting in a wood pile I have used one hand but if there is a chance you may hit another branch while cutting then two hands are better. If your cutting a log bigger then your bar I use two hands, with my left hand right next to the chain break. Do not ever think that the inertia chain break will save you. Its a nice safety but if you act as if it may not work in time, the safer you will be.
You can use these bucket saws with one hand, you just have to use your head and not be in a hurry. Saw's of this size are only 1.8 to maybe 2.3 horsepower, try not to be to aggressive in bucking a log or a limbing, keep your chain speed up and give the chainsaw time to work. If possible don't have your head in line with your bar while cutting. I have old experience working in a tree but just remember what ever you cut off a tree the tree will rock, sometimes hard, you may need to use your left hand to hang on even while in your harness.

Often that means making the bulk of the cut with the chainsaw and switching to the handsaw so I can hold the limb with one hand.

I've often been there, but I worked out a different solution. I climb with a fairly good collection of loopies. When I need to cut and toss (presuming a speedline isn't practical), I'll still tie on a loopie and then run it over my wrist to catch it after I have finished the cut. If it's not too heavy, then I just quick untie the loopie and bombs away. I tend to tie off the branches I know I can hold, but don't have confidence I can do it with one hand. Putting the loopie on gives me security on when the branch will be released, and lets me use two hands to finish the cut.

I've often been there, but I worked out a different solution. I climb with a fairly good collection of loopies. When I need to cut and toss (presuming a speedline isn't practical), I'll still tie on a loopie and then run it over my wrist to catch it after I have finished the cut. If it's not too heavy, then I just quick untie the loopie and bombs away. I tend to tie off the branches I know I can hold, but don't have confidence I can do it with one hand. Putting the loopie on gives me security on when the branch will be released, and lets me use two hands to finish the cut.
Thats a great way to do it. Often the boss just wants the job done quick, but I gently remind him now and then these methods may take a few minutes longer, but it is the way I feel safest and most comfortable

Eh. My thoughts are that it is faster than chopping it up into tiny little pieces that are easier to hold. That method works best for those heavier branches that I can only hold long enough to swing them in the right direction before letting go.

OK, I'll chime in... of course I've run it one handed, if the situation warrants it.... always out of the plane of the path, and when it is safer than the alternative, and yes, for expediences sake.... there is always probably a way to two hand it, but in the real world it can be done safely, and in some cases may be a safer option... that's just experience. Nothing is truly safe up there, pick your poison...

Back