do you all top trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It provides nutrients, and minerals, and I guess it also protects the tree like a scab. I know it attracts and catches bugs, I'm not sure if that serves any purpose though.

Some of it can be tasty. When I was a kid we used it to doctor our balls(our baseballs, get your head out of the gutter).

SapWOOD Carbie, sapWOOD, not sap.

Sapwood, you know, all those young branches and tops that get hacked off over and over when you re-top those potential restorations.

What does the sapwood do for the tree? Does it serve a purpose for the tree?

SapWOOD Carbie, sapWOOD, not sap.

Sapwood, you know, all those young branches and tops that get hacked off over and over when you re-top those potential restorations.

What does the sapwood do for the tree? Does it serve a purpose for the tree?

Yes they do, they make a place for leaves to grow so that the tree can absorb sunlight to produce chlorophyll.

Yes they do, they make a place for leaves to grow so that the tree can absorb sunlight to produce chlorophyll.

Ya, not so much....

The trees absorb H2O, CO2 and sunlight to produce O and carbohydrates. In order for the tree to produce chlorophyll (and the many other chemicals it needs and produces), it still needs other elements from the root system, but that's not really the point.

I've always been amazed at a trees ability to renew it's self, and as a result I believe that there is a tree friendly way to go about topping or re-topping as it were.

There is no "tree friendly" way to cut of (or re-cut off) all the parts of the tree which are helping to store the proceeds of photosynthesis, and forming a well anchored structure of the tree.

Each time that material is removed from the tree, the tree loses not only the resources stored in that dynamic material, but also the ability to produce more resources until it's spent more stored energy to restore photosynthetic mass.

It gets weaker each time.

It decays more each time.

The regrowth isn't anchored in the heartwood, it's now got many less growth layers to support a rapidly growing branch.

The root system is shocked with each topping or re-topping, and some parts of the root system die, escalating the downward spiral.

None of those sound very "tree friendly" to me.

Ya, not so much....

The trees absorb H2O, CO2 and sunlight to produce O and carbohydrates. In order for the tree to produce chlorophyll (and the many other chemicals it needs and produces), it still needs other elements from the root system, but that's not really the point.

There is no "tree friendly" way to cut of (or re-cut off) all the parts of the tree which are helping to store the proceeds of photosynthesis, and forming a well anchored structure of the tree.

Each time that material is removed from the tree, the tree loses not only the resources stored in that dynamic material, but also the ability to produce more resources until it's spent more stored energy to restore photosynthetic mass.

It gets weaker each time.

It decays more each time.

The regrowth isn't anchored in the heartwood, it's now got many less growth layers to support a rapidly growing branch.

The root system is shocked with each topping or re-topping, and some parts of the root system die, escalating the downward spiral.

None of those sound very "tree friendly" to me.

So you're saying that this "Crown Restoration" stuff is a bunch of malarkey?

I think the take home message is don't top trees or re-top them. Simple as that. And if you so happen to get called to a tree that has been topped, then you can try crown restoration to start restructuring the tree. However, it's a long process if I understand it correctly. Am I correct on my conclusion of the topic at hand?

So their is no way to restore a tree that's been topped?

Well; Is there? :D

Many times, or sometimes, or hardly ever, or almost never.

It depends alot on the individual tree, and how badly it's been damaged by trimming, it's age, it's vitality, and tons of other variables.

But even if a tree can't be restored, that does not mean that ongoing repeated topping is acceptable. Tree replacement is in order at that point, instead of ongoing expense to service a liability.

Many times, or sometimes, or hardly ever, or almost never.

It depends alot on the individual tree, and how badly it's been damaged by trimming, it's age, it's vitality, and tons of other variables.

But even if a tree can't be restored, that does not mean that ongoing repeated topping is acceptable. Tree replacement is in order at that point, instead of ongoing expense to service a liability.

I hear you, but telling a customer that they should replace their beloved tree would be right up there with telling them they need to have a leg amputated.

How do you go about breaking the news to them?

Do you usurp Rick's drop line and tell them they're clueless, or is there a better way of convincing them.

Last edited:
lost top

Lost another job today becuse we dont top trees, theres a local ordinance aginst it . I t still happens . some people dont care to be educated and just want there tree topped . When we explain why we dont they look at u like u got a third eye . Its so popular . Im not provin anything just losin money

It can be done and serve it's purpose if cut back to leaders that continue to feed the stem. It also depends on the age/condition of the tree at hand and the height at which you cut. Lower cutting in an old tree will usually finnish it off, which is what most people seem to want. I don't turn down the job, just try to educate the customer and then make the best of it.

Nailsbeats. You summed up this whole thread concisely. Very well put. I would only add that different species tend to tolerate more cutting back that others.

"There is no dark side of the moon. Matter of fact, it's all dark" :rock:
I'll take a lot of abuse but not when it comes to "science"
Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon----50 million albums---Capetrees---zero albums.
Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon----50 million albums---Capetrees---zero albums.
I rest my case and I'll see YOU on the dark side of the moon.
Phil

@ Carb
Check it out, so I went back thru your post's, I have a bit of advice for ya. Read, READ,READ Do not take this the wrong way, get butt hurt and say something out of line, resist the urge and listen. It is pretty obvious that you are lacking in Arboricultural (that is spelled right isnt it? spell check is arguing with me, I'm trying Eddie, I'm trying)knowledge. ON ALL COUNTS, no problem we have ALL been there at one point or another. Something you fail to realize. These guys that you argue with know what they are doing, you don't. Not saying that you cant pick it up, actually, thats exactly what you need to do, pick up, what they are laying down. READ. You should not work on trees if you do not understand basic plant biology. BASIC, just as you should not climb trees if you have not been taught............not to climb, but to climb trees. Going to rock climbers, factory's and here will not make you a Arborist, a seasoned vet will. As we tell all the newbs who come here, this is not the place to learn the basics, the field is, under the supervision of a veteran, topper or not, someone who understands the risk in every move they make, they guy who can read the tree the instant he looks at it. These guys are here, but you are not going to pick up the knowledge you need to do this safely, for you and the tree.....here. You have been given advice from epic level tree guys, LISTEN, READ. For about a 200 doll hairs you can get the basic books, esp from Amazon. This will help you more than anything, other than the crusty, cranky old dude that you need. Get the books first, then go find crusty. I am genuinely concerned, as I said before, about your well being. READ

I'll take a lot of abuse but not when it comes to "science"
I rest my case and I'll see YOU on the dark side of the moon.
Phil

??

Back