Do you guys really wear chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zemmo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been cutting a lot by myself, and broke down and ordered a pair. I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone using them, either in Alaska or NM. On the other hand, I did once have to take a friend to the clinic, after he cut his leg wandering around in his yard with a saw that kept turning the chain at idle. Them cowboys are gonna make fun of me something fierce, I reckon...:buttkick:

You Bet! Chaps are a real good idea. It only takes one small mishap and you will never think twice about it. Good luck and be careful.:cheers:

As a general rule I don't wear them, but sometimes I get this odd feeling that I've learned to trust and I'll wear them then.
-Ralph

Its better that they make fun of you for wearing chaps than making fun of you because of your chainsaw-induced limp. I always wear mine. Sometimes they're a PITA but I have a couple of pretty good scars on the left chap about midway between the knee and the belt.

Thanks, y'all. That's about what I figured. I got some Woodsman Pro models. Are they monstrously hot? I'm cutting in 40's to 70's down here, even in the winter.

ALWAYS, i wear FULL Personel Protective gear, even if i'm just trimming limbs. Full wrap Kevlar & Cordura logging pants, Helmet with muffs and mesh shield, leather gloves with kevlar backs, and steel toe chainsaw boots.

some say its copmplete overkill, but you wont see me in the ER.

it ONLY takes a microsecond to forever be injured or scarred or worse.

Yes. I am no longer young and indestructible. Now I just want to hang onto what I got.

Chaps and a helmet with muffs and a facescreen. If there is any snickering, it usually stops when I pull out the cant hook, wedges, and modded saws; and start cutting twice as fast as anybody else with half the effort.

Further, when people want a tree cleared out, they call me first.

Full gear is the only way to go! I've had alot of stuff bounce off my faceshield that wolud have done considerable damage. I tend to cut in alot of small brush and pricklyash and its easy to trip when limbing. If the guys think you're a sissy for wearing chaps tell them they work real good in the bedroom too!:censored:

zemmo said:
Thanks for all the feedback. But, are they hot?

I wear Husqvarna pants in the winter and SwedePro chaps in the summer. Yes, the chaps are hot but I find it tolerable.

woodfarmer said:
srt, what the heck do you use that for?

to save my back...i move rounds with it from a standing position, NO bending down or over to pick up firewood. Very useful for unloading the truck, one pickaroon in each hand, stab and chuck the chunks of wood. very fast once you get in a rythm.

:rockn:

chekc the PEAVEY, CANTHOOK thread in CHAINSAW forum, some pics of one in use there...

Latest posts

Back