Do you guys really wear chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An alternative to chaps

There are several variations of "saw pants" they are made of the same chainsaw resistant material. Stihl makes a good looking set. Also, there are jeans out there you can insert kevlar or other material. Leg protection has saved me more than once, espically when fatigued.

Just happened to me...

Just last week I posted about the importance of buying PPE for someone who wrote about buying a new saw. I nipped my left leg with the tip of my top handle saw while limbing at the END of the day. Fatigue and carelessness was to blame. Thanks to the chaps, I got a little bruise and no big damage. Besides it would've been really embarrassing to explain the injury to my friends in the hospital. I haven't tried the chainsaw pants yet, but they look better than years past. Have a great day.

Jason

scored a new Peltor helmet and sthil protective shirt. this along with my sthil chaps and Kevlar gloves gives me solid protection.

Ounce of prevention better than a pound of cure. Specially since chainsaw removes flesh not just cutting it. I've been known to buck the odd log without but generally all the time. Especially on a pile of logs, how many times have I slipped a little!
Good on ya for getting the gear, looks professional too.
It's not manly being injured and on the couch is it?

i would rather be safe than sorry. Here when you see men / women bucking or falling there all ways wearing full pants or the buckle front type

:) :chainsaw: :help: :(

i would rather be safe than sorry. Here when you see men / women bucking or falling there all ways wearing full pants or the buckle front type

:) :chainsaw: :help: :(
Same here BC Logger we have to have chaps.kavler boot.hard hat with ear muffs.and a shield.with safty glassess on under the shield while falling tree in the timber buisnes....What gets me is when i was cutting for asplunda(spelled dat not right) didn't need the kavler boot or some kinda leg ppe when up in a tree,...

Well I did it. Ordered Labonville chaps, and a Peltor helmet from Bailey's. I added some felling wedges and the Douglas Dent book for some good winter reading and lesson learning. :greenchainsaw:

I'm dredging up this old thread because I got hit with the saw this past week. Hemlock limb threw the saw into my leg. I felt/saw it start to happen and tried to keep the saw from moving, but no way. 3" gash in my chaps and the material inside stopped the chain. I'm sure I would have had a few stitches at the very least.

New chaps will be ordered on Monday.

Good Example!

I'm dredging up this old thread because I got hit with the saw this past week. Hemlock limb threw the saw into my leg. I felt/saw it start to happen and tried to keep the saw from moving, but no way. 3" gash in my chaps and the material inside stopped the chain. I'm sure I would have had a few stitches at the very least.

Close call averted by the use of PPE!

:clap:

Thank you for posting it, PA Plumber!!!

PPE is the best purchase a person can make. Good job!

my friend works for the city and if you are seen with a saw and no chaps you are fired on the spot....
why?????????
well 9 years ago a guy that worked there got cut not all that bad on his shin at work trimming trees at a site.
6 weeks later he lost his left leg due to infection and got a huge payout from insurance .
I dont where them cause i cut about a cord a year .
but the other day my stihl dealer had a pair on sale so i am thinking it is not a bad idea.

I dont where them cause i cut about a cord a year .
but the other day my stihl dealer had a pair on sale so i am thinking it is not a bad idea.

You won't regret it if you buy and use the chaps/pants the day an accident happens :)

The good thing here in Sweden is that all pro's are required to were ppe so most homeowner use it as well to look more like a pro which I think is a good thing in this case !!!

/Kristoffer

You won't regret it if you buy and use the chaps/pants the day an accident happens :)

The good thing here in Sweden is that all pro's are required to were ppe so most homeowner use it as well to look more like a pro which I think is a good thing in this case !!!

/Kristoffer

Here all pro's and most homeowners wear ppe even thou it isnt required...

I have read that chaps won't stop an electric saw because of the torque. I was using my electric saw yesterday and was thinking to be extra careful because the chain doesn't stop for a fairly long time when you turn the switch off. In fact, even when resting against a log it will still go for a while (inertia). I've read that some electrics now have a brake that stops the chain when the switch is turned off.

I have gotten so used to mine I don't even notice them being there. I have only been using for about a month now.

In addition to the safety aspect I also bought them for general leg protection when working around the cut wood (loading/splitting/stacking). I hate it when a chunk gets overly familiar with my shins. Haven't gotten a "ding" from the blocks since I started wearing them. Kinda nice finishing up a work stint without blood dripping from a scrape. I had originally planned to get some soccer shin guards for that use but the chaps do the job just fine.

Harry K

I wear a pair of Sthil chaps..100% of the time when using a chain saw..regardless of how hot it is..it has 100% saved me from some leg cuts...

when you are tired from cutting for a few hours...and you get lazy...and hot...thats when you need the chaps..... it only takes a second of the chain hitting your leg to gash it...and it happens...

Is the Pope German ?

This IS a joke...no ???:dizzy:

Put this in the category of " ready, fire, aim ":monkey: :monkey: :help:

This is not a question people..........................:angry2:

Plus..... lets face it, i look sexier in chaps anyway ! ;)

Posting pics to prove this point might give you one more red box.

Punch.gif

Latest posts

Back