Do you guys think there is a market for exporting firewood out of the south?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amen to that. A face cord is a rick. Wonder if there is a face rick.

kmann, I have seen bundles of wood here in IN from California. I do not see how they can cover trucking expense and still profit. To me it does not make good sense to haul it that far. As previously mentioned tree pest and diseases are easily transported to differant parts of the country. IN,Ohio, MI, are losing entire populations of ash trees to imported ashborers. It would be best for you to sell it to your nearest market.Around here they are finicky about wood species,wood preperation and size for the home heating market. The home heaters don't want much less then oak , for heat value. Silver Maple,eim,pines get the thumbs down. For camp fire wood it usually isn't such a big issue to species, but they do like it split on the small side. In this part of the country nurseries sell a lot of wood during the fall and winter for fireplace use, campgrounds sell to their campers year around to give you an idea where to look for buyers.I've also seen it at gas stations some times. Check these places near your biggest metropolitan area. If they don't already buy and sell wood you might try convincing them to give it a try.

I've seen people paying as high as 295 for a full cord in the middle of winter in my area. It seemed like most firewood sellers were out of wood last year by September and prices went sky high.

kkottemann said:
This might seem like a crazy thought to alot of people, but do you firewood guys think there is a market for bringing wood up north from the south? Is there already a market for it? I have a tree service in south louisiana and would like to utilize the wood from trees for a profit. Dumping fees are getting out of hand here. I am just thinking out of the box right now. Any thoughts on this?

depends....what do you have and how much would the cost be to deliver to, say, rochester ny?

I don't know what Im talking about but just had a thought. Do they have Hickory wood out west? How about shipping Hickory wood out to some of the more populated areas for BBQ cooking. I don't know if they BBQ with other types of wood out there or not.

Back