Do you work with a bunch of drunks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My beef is with the black and white nature of AA. As if quitting drinking in and of itself makes your life better. That's just untrue. Finding fulfillment in friends, career, family, hobbies,etc. versus searching for it in a bottle is what makes your life better. Enjoying a few cold ones isn't a bad thing.

Nothing could be further from the truth here blakes what you are describing is a dry drunk.
That is a person that just stopped but did no other changes. Also every friend of Bill W I ever listened to said AA does not have a monopoly on sobriety. Also: enjoying alcohol is not a bad thing for a non-alcoholic, if you can drink like a gentleman my hat is off to you.

Last edited:
There's a handful of people I have met in my life that could just "have a few" socially.

The majority are just in the early stages of THE TRAP. Once fully trapped there is no escape and the addiction is totally out of your control until you find abstinence (IMO). Whatever way you find it is worthy of immeasurable admiration and something one has to be proud of the rest of their lives.

They likely become better people than if they never became addicted at all through this achievement. (again IMO)

There's a handful of people I have met in my life that could just "have a few" socially.

The majority are just in the early stages of THE TRAP. Once fully trapped there is no escape and the addiction is totally out of your control until you find abstinence (IMO). Whatever way you find it is worthy of immeasurable admiration and something one has to be proud of the rest of their lives.

They likely become better people than if they never became addicted at all through this achievement. (again IMO)

You either a nut job or you don't meet many people. ;)
Jeff

I guess i'm one of the few. I started drinking when I was 15, i am now 34. I didn't start drinking heavily until college. I was at the bars 4 to 5 times a week up until two years ago. The thing is I never went out to drink and get ####ed up. I went out to be be around people and socialize. I still have a few here and there, even then 2 beers makes me feel like #### the next day. I could never understand how some people can control consumption and others can't. I even have alcoholism in the family.

I tend to wonder if the disease really exists, to me it's more about having self control.

Admittedly, I have not read all 17 pages of posts, but back to the OP:

In the power industry, if someone is suspected of being under the influence, of any drug/alcohol/sugar high/whatever, it only takes one other person to observe, and a second person to agree, and the suspect is piss tested on the spot.

I actually worked a 1/2 day for a guy up in Checotah, OK recently, spraying lovely cancer-causing chemicals on trees, and I was piss-tested before being hired (the job didn't work out, because like most, I was promised the world, and received nothing...) and the manager was amazed that I passed... probly had more to do with my full sleeves of tatts and big old beard than the fact that I haven't touched drugs in a long time.

If you suspect someone of being drunk or high, test them on site. The little piss tests from any drug store are about 15-20 bucks, keep some in your truck if you have a real problem. They test for marijuana, pcp, methamphetamine, heroine, cocaine, etc etc etc.

As far as being drunk on site, I know that we had issues with people's rights being violated by breathalyzing them on site (don't ask me how that one works...) so we had to use reasonable suspicion and confer with another manager before removing the individual from the project.

Best of luck.

I tend to wonder if the disease really exists, to me it's more about having self control.

I think the people who cannot handle it need to call it a disease, makes them feel better to place blame.
Jeff[/QUOTE]

I think you have not examined it much to make that statement. Ever have to go help someone suffering DT shakes? Ever know a guy that has swore it off forever get drunk two days later? I believe I am going to leave this alone as no good will likely develop out of it but it is hard to let the lies flow.

Also: enjoying alcohol is not a bad thing for a non-alcoholic

No offense Rope, but that's the part I was talking about. I don't think that enjoying alcohol is bad even if you are an alcoholic. You just have to learn moderation. Learn to drink and whoop it up when you can but make sure your ducks are in a row and your life is not just manageable, but fruitful.

I think the people who cannot handle it need to call it a disease, makes them feel better to place blame.
Jeff

By the clinical definition, yes, it is a disease/disorder/affliction. But then again, so is ADD and a ton of other things that can be controlled. Would I put it up there with cancer? No. But perhaps with diabetes, high cholesterol and other preventable ailments.

Jeff

I think you have not examined it much to make that statement. Ever have to go help someone suffering DT shakes? Ever know a guy that has swore it off forever get drunk two days later?

Yeah, my Dad!,
Jeff

I sure am glad i was smart enough to quit drinking when i was 19/20. I do smoke pot though, much healthier, safe, and its not debilitating. I have to admit i have NEVER gotten my ass kicked from smoking to much pot, alcohol on the other hand...

If some people cannot handle there pot, thats fine its not for them. I know 2-3 people that totally cannot handle getting stoned, everyones body is different with different levels of chemicals naturally in our bodies.

I find it funny how many people have an issue with me smoking and working, especially considering I WORK FOR MYSELF, BY MYSELF, also i have never had a work related injury.

I sure am glad i was smart enough to quit drinking when i was 19/20. I do smoke pot though, much healthier, safe, and its not debilitating. I have to admit i have NEVER gotten my ass kicked from smoking to much pot, alcohol on the other hand...

If some people cannot handle there pot, thats fine its not for them. I know 2-3 people that totally cannot handle getting stoned, everyones body is different with different levels of chemicals naturally in our bodies.

I find it funny how many people have an issue with me smoking and working, especially considering I WORK FOR MYSELF, BY MYSELF, also i have never had a work related injury.

Ever hear of " Don't ask, don't tell?"
Jeff

Back