Does anyone else use a Lickety Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe any patent has long since expired. I don't know why no one is building them or something similar other than cost and demand factors. Mine is slow. Always has been. I will have to time the cycle to see just how slow. I bet there are better splitters at lower cost.

If yours is slow its not working right .maybe pressure is leaking past your cylinder o rings or something dont know!:msp_confused:

thats what i thought to. I swear I am still the only one with a compact 25abs25 lickity log splitter. I will post some picks later this week i just stripped the whole thing down and in the process of rebuilding it.

anyone with the pdf. for the 348. i really neeed it. i love my lickity splitter and want to ggive it all a good once over and the manual would be amazing.

O Ring source

I am sorry I didn't get to email out the pdf' on the splitter yet to those who asked. Been really busy the last few days.
Also on the lickity I had to replace the o rings on the piston and found out for those with this splitter it is an easy fix and the o rings are common items at any local hyrdaulic parts/repair store. The one I use is in Lindenhurst,NY. Once replaced (takes about an hour) there was a noticeable difference in overall speed and production.

Hey there,

Glad to see so many still running their lickity splitters! I'm trying to source the O rings (2 #425 and 1 #329). Do you have the name of the supplier in Lindenhurst?

Thanks you,

Roger

Hydraulic seals

Baum Hydraulics should be able to source any seal you are looking for. They have many different styles of seals and o rings.

Just bought this yesterday.
9y9upu3u.jpg
5u6apyna.jpg

I've been using the Old Lickity Log Splitter for the past 20 years, I have about a dozen or more Videos on You Tube on it.
My User Name is Mr Dan OConnor Here's One

Lowell Webb has all the manuals and a ton of NOS parts. http://webbs-farmsupplies.com/
That looks a little newer than most. It's been a while since I have seen the type with the resevoir built in like that. I have three Lickitys and all have the resevoir mounted on top of the platform. I have two that are two speed and one that is single speed like yours. I'm glad to see that the original kohler is still being used on yours. Hate to see replacement engines of any type thrown on these things with the automatic idle down gone. Got to do your best to keep these things original (my opinion). All of mine have the kohlers and all work as originally designed. Take care of them and they will last a lifetime. My father bought the first one in 1970 near State College, PA. It is still used today and I can't even guess how much wood has gone through that thing. He sold firewood for years, then I sold for about twenty years. Maybe 50 to 60 cords a year sold plus heating three homes of our own. Rebuilt the Kohler once and I was able to make the parts for the brass sliders under the ram. While Lickety was still in business, I think we replaced those parts from them and once or twice after they went out of business. Still have the original receipt for that splitter - 900.00. Many family and friends thought my Dad was crazy for spending that amount back in 1970, but they all wanted to borrow it, and of course he left them borrow it. About ten years ago, my brother in law came across a splitter that he could not get to work right. He called me and when I saw the brand, I offered to buy it. He sold it to me for 75.00. It was all there, except I was not familiar with the two speed mechanism. Got that figured out and replaced some o rings and springs - works fine. Last year I saw another Lickity on Craigs list. Apparently, it had been sitting for quite a while and the owner said the motor was run without oil the last time it was used. The two speed mechanism was all there. Goit it running after freeing up a stuck intake valve. It smoked and after about two hours use, it developed a bad rapping noise. Pulled the pan off and the connecting rod bolts had backed out about 1/4". So, I purchased a complete Kohler K181 from ebay and I'm back in business. It works great. Why do I have three? Why not - I just like fixing them up and can't part with any of them. Always looking for another. That's my Lickity Splitter story. Keep em running and original!!

I can't wait to give it a bath and I want to make a rock shield for the engine and a new muffler! I like it, it may not be fast but the auto cycle makes up for it!

Could a person add. 2 stage pump? I am betting the 2 speed valve is un-obtainable?

I can't wait to give it a bath and I want to make a rock shield for the engine and a new muffler! I like it, it may not be fast but the auto cycle makes up for it!

Could a person add. 2 stage pump? I am betting the 2 speed valve is un-obtainable?

You could probably install a two stage pump. Just take the old one to a hydraulic shop and they can get the numbers off of it (or you can). This tells the gpm, port sizes, thread, etc. If it's the original pump, it should be a Borg Warner. They can fit you up with the proper pump. Let's face it, the single speed is a little slower but certainly faster than a maul. The Lickity two speed is done with a single stage pump, just routes the oil to different parts of the ram utilizing a shifting mechanism. I hear the same argument now and agian -"I can split faster with a maul". Really? Even after a few hours of splitting and dealing with the knotty ones too? I don't think so..... Keep it original and enjoy. If I get time, I'll put up some pics of my Lickity fleet.

This is one of the bigger two stage ones. It's complete. I planned on restoring it as my first retirement project. My wife would like to see it go away. She would like to see it go away so bad, she bought me a brand new splitter. I might put it on ebay just to see what happens, Joe.

anyone with the pdf. for the 348. i really neeed it. i love my lickity splitter and want to ggive it all a good once over and the manual would be amazing.

I have a manual and parts ID I can copy for the MK 348.

Latest posts

Back