Does anyone have any clever ways to store & manage kindling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lopro

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking for some neat ways to deal with kindling. I don't have much & and I can always split some logs to get more...just wondering if anybody has some ideas on kindling stacking/storage/whatever? I don't like looking at kindling just laying around after spending hours trying to make neat stacks of split logs.

Kindling storage...

I got tired of having a big mess laying around, so I threw together a couple storage boxes that don't take up to awful much room....works pretty good for me.

we fill those plastic storage totes i think they are 48 quart size but anyway i keep 3 of those filled and stacked in the shop

I'm a beekeeper, so I have extra boxes kicking around... just yesterday I took two deep brood chambers and put plywood bottoms on them... and loaded them up with kindling. Very handy.

Plastic totes would also be handy. Stack till full, put on the lid, stack another one ontop of it, fill... only downside is if you have any moisture in there, it won't dry out as quickly.

I don't normally intentionally split kindling. I always end up with lots of splitter trash that is next to impossible to store in any sort of compact manner because it is all odd shapes and such. I just go ahead and throw it all in big boxes and stack them in the garage. As I use them I either save the box for the next year if it's still in good shape or I get rid of it. For anything that isn't small slivers, trash, and odd shapes "pieces" (note pieces does not = chunks) it just gets stacked with the wood, even if it's a really small split; it makes it convenient to have smaller stuff mixed right in with the larger stuff.

Kindling?Whats that?

In all seriousness, I gave up on the kindling thing years ago.I keep a squeeze bottle of diesel fuel by the stove.Load the wood, squeeze in a couple of ounces of diesel, throw a match in, slam the door, and be done with it.

I used to drive me crazy trying to keep the wife stocked up on kindling, now its not an issue.

3157705472_cd05e7b5bf.jpg

We keep our kindling in that drawer under the wood rack. Except for shoulder season we don't use much as we're 24/7 burners.

Our kindling is splitter trash that drys in a cardboard box outside but under a lean-to.

I used to drive me crazy trying to keep the wife stocked up on kindling, now its not an issue.

:agree2:Exactly...that's why I'm looking for clever ways of storing kindling. I shoulda asked for "cute" ways to store kindling, but I'm sure I woulda caught hell from everybody here:buttkick:

:agree2:Exactly...that's why I'm looking for clever ways of storing kindling. I shoulda asked for "cute" ways to store kindling, but I'm sure I woulda caught hell from everybody here:buttkick:

Eh, don't worry, a lot of us guys have wives as well. The only guys that would truly give you a bunch of crap for that are the ************ ones...

If ya want cute, watch for that friggin poodle from next door.Catch em in the front yard taking a dump, put a nice clean shot between the eyes, and tear the ribbon off and make up a nice cute bundle.That will be sure to wow the wife.

Okay, just kidding.Ive tried everything, and being short on patience, I decided to show the wife how to make a fire man style.Sure, you might lose a few eyebrows, but nothing wakes the whole clan up faster than dad racing through the living room in his skivvies with his bangs on fire.I have been known to invent six new cusswords before reaching the sink.

Ive tried nice little tupperware boxes, she left it too close to the stove and it melted.We had a grand old time one evening trying to guess what the hell it was.Kept us intertained for hours.We are simple folks I reckon.

I tried a nice little wicker basket I bought from some mexican at the flea market, he didnt have any arms and wove it with his toes.The dog wasnt impressed, and managed to chew it down to the floor in one long night to pay me back for not giving him is nightly hot dog.

Took some time and made a real nice sturdy little rack out of wrought iron. Came home one day and found that the wife thought it worked better as a stepping stool for the kitchen.

Made a nice little box out of oak strips.Rounded the bottom so that it couldnt be flipped over and stood on, dog wouldnt chew it,and it wouldnt melt. Last time I saw it, it was out on the front porch with some kinda stupid weed looking things in it, my daughter proudly claimed later it was her "herb" garden.I always thought "herbs" grew in walmart somewhere, but I hear you can grow the dang things too.

Nope, gave up on kindling.

kindling

I must be really ************ if I use 5 gallon pails to store kindling, pine cones, hard wood nut shells, wood chips from my processor etc. MEEEEOOOOW!!!!

Plastic totes would also be handy. Stack till full, put on the lid, stack another one ontop of it, fill... only downside is if you have any moisture in there, it won't dry out as quickly.

i don't put the lids on them just for that reason,,i just leave the lids off and stack them

3157705472_cd05e7b5bf.jpg

We keep our kindling in that drawer under the wood rack. Except for shoulder season we don't use much as we're 24/7 burners.

Our kindling is splitter trash that drys in a cardboard box outside but under a lean-to.

Say, savageactor7, your woodstove looks hauntingly familiar... Is it EPA approved? I like the blueish glow. Where is the door and air inlet?
:)

SA

Nothing clever ,or special here . I just use cheap plastic garbage cans to collect the splitter trash as I make it . After every couple of splitting sessions I collect what I think will be decent kindling and put it in one of the cans , the rest goes to the burn pile . When a can is full ,it goes in the shed . I keep one can on the porch ,I have a small metal bucket in the house that I refill as needed .

I use banana boxes from the grocery stores. They also stack nice.

I don't normally intentionally split kindling. I always end up with lots of splitter trash that is next to impossible to store in any sort of compact manner because it is all odd shapes and such. I just go ahead and throw it all in big boxes and stack them in the garage. As I use them I either save the box for the next year if it's still in good shape or I get rid of it. For anything that isn't small slivers, trash, and odd shapes "pieces" (note pieces does not = chunks) it just gets stacked with the wood, even if it's a really small split; it makes it convenient to have smaller stuff mixed right in with the larger stuff.

That's my story too. I burn 24/7 when it gets colder, but this time of year I go through a lot of splitter trash.

Good post.:biggrinbounce2:

I have picked up two poly carts that is used for trash. Just fill up with splitter trash and flop the lid shut. I roll ours to the back door and leave it there.

:clap:

Back