Does anyone have any clever ways to store & manage kindling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I collect splitter trash in plastic 55 gallon barrels. That works perfect for storing and managing the kindling.

Same here, except 55 gallon trash barrels with the wheels. That way I can roll the barrel to the saw buck or splitter and toss in all the small stuff.

A 55 gallon drum with a 2X6 laid a cross the top makes a nice chopping block for splitting the shortpieces for kindling. The pieces fall into the barrel and your done. No bending over or picking up 1000 pieces.

I must be really ************ if I use 5 gallon pails to store kindling, pine cones, hard wood nut shells, wood chips from my processor etc. MEEEEOOOOW!!!!

^^That's what I'm doing now...but it won't last for long. Guess I should just carry on as I am. I'm sure the wife will come up with something before the weekend is over...never fails.:dizzy:

I use a decorative metal log rack that's made for people in the city. I look at the local cabinet shop parking lot every time I drive by, and when they put out their pile of scraps I grab the trailer and beat feet back there. Their scraps are hardwood, no particle board, and anywhere from 3/4" thick x 3" wide x 12' long to 12' long thin strips. They stack a pile outside in front in a metal rack that's 3' wide and 3'-4' tall that's free for the taking. I think they'll get upset if I take the rack too, so I leave it there. ;)

One afternoon on the chop saw gives me enough kindling for a year or 2.

Take a log and noodle it. Put the noodles in a bad and use them. The work great. Or just buy kiln dried firewood from me and you don't have to worry about much kindling. :givebeer:

Scott

I have a virtually unlimited supply of pallets at work, so I just cut them up. I usually only use the horizontal slate, cut them to 6" or so. I split some in 1/3's with a hatchet. My clever way of storing them is an old book shelf and cardboard boxes.

Yeap...I was tired of the mess and boxes so I decided to invest in buckets. I'll bring one in from the garage to wood stove...Each bucket of kindling lasts a week. Once empty either I go outside and refill it let it dry in garage or use it in summertime for something. :)

utf-8BSU1HMDA4MzUtMjAxMDEwMDUtMTc0Ny5qcGc.jpg

Here are some ideas.

I have more kindling than I know what to do with because the logsplitter leaves it behind as wood scree.

I fill up a couple of old trash containers that have holes in the bottom of them with logsplitter scree. Draining stagnant water from the trash cans is rather important. Otherwise you collect sewage water in the cans.

As posted earlier, I also stack kindling with the split wood whenever I can. This year I might split some kindling from short rounds down to 2 x 2 size and store them in ordinary cardboard boxes because I have a whole bunch of those available.

On the other hand, these days I seldom need that much kindling. I fill small boxes or leftover potato chip canisters with sawdust or planer shavings from my workshop. Then I wrap that in a section of newspaper. Surround it with ordinary logs, touch a match to it, and the fire gets lit.

Last edited:
At the grocery store we sometimes get paper bags instead of plastic. I fill each bag about 1/3 full of kindling and keep it in the shed. When I need to start a fire, I just throw a bag in the stove over some newspaper.

BTW, we use the plastic bags from the grocery store for trash so we don't have to buy trash bags.

I second the paper grocery bags. I keep some in my wood working shop for cutoffs and sawdust, fill them until about 2/3 full and then stack them in an open cabinet. When I need to start a fire, I just place a bag in the stove and light. The bags with the paper handles really work great!

I have 3 shopping carts that I brought home from the dump. They are used for storing and drying kindling that's mainly cedar as well as any twigs that fall on the lawn. Once dried I move it to cardboard cartons and keep them in the garden shed.

Oct0610002.jpg

There was really no reason given for all the shopping carts there that day but I wasn't long grabbing them. The wheels and handles served no purpose and were simply cut off. The carts are sitting on pallets in their own section of the wood shelter...works for me! :cheers:

I collect the bark and slivers that result from the cutting and splitting.
I use cardboard boxes I get for free at the local store. 15-20 boxes is more than enough...and they stack!
On years I don't have enough of my own, I go to the local log concentration yard and pick up boxes full of dry bark. There's 40 cords of dry bark there in late July, most of it dry oak bark. Works tha balls.

$9.95 ace 30 gal garbage can longer stuff, 5 gal buckets shorter stuff, fruit and produce baskets for old newspaper.

Back