Does anyone have experience with a bobcat MT55 mini skid loader

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamT1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy one of these pretty dang cheap locally. Guys says the kill switch doesn’t work and it has some hydraulic issues. Anyway , will one pickup as much as it’s tip weight? It says 1700# tip weight. I’m looking for something to move totes of firewood. I believe a dry tote is 1250 and green is probably 1700 or so.

They'll pick up a lot relative to their size but no way are they picking up 1700.

They're very well built. Depending on what cheap means I would buy it regardless of the max lift. A sit down will have a better max lift, minis excel in other areas.

I would say this machine is not a good fit for what you want to do. I have a 743 and the rating for that is 1300 LBS. Mine is souped up a bit and it has been improved, but I do not think there is any way it could lift a ton. When I get a full bucket the back wheels just pop right up. Even with the door weighted I think it would strain to handle a ton. There are many other inexpensive machines that could handle what you want to do. Thanks

Here is what I found. “Running when parked” kinda deal. I got it cheap enough I can part it or scrap it and get my money back if it doesn’t run. I almost have it running now. I’m going to put some sort of fork attachment on the back.
21F23E30-A6B2-4D97-B2DE-1DF52DD27256.jpeg

Here is what I found. “Running when parked” kinda deal. I got it cheap enough I can part it or scrap it and get my money back if it doesn’t run. I almost have it running now. I’m going to put some sort of fork attachment on the back.
View attachment 700377

Cool. Is it still LP powered?

I welded some 3 point pins to my skid steer forks. It works pretty good. An actual forklift mast would be better, but too heavy for my little tractor. Got any remote hydraulic valves on that Ford? That would make using a mast possible or make just a set of forks much handier. It's nice to be able to tip them up and down.
rps20190129_090246_391.jpg rps20190129_090203_239.jpg

Yes it’s still LP. Blessing and a curse?

It doesn’t have remotes, but there are kits available for it. In the $400 range. I’ve seen a few 3 point masts laying around in guys bone yards. I’m exploring my options. I just need to be able to sit a tote on a trailer but in the back of a pickup would be great too.

I’d like a bucket, but the consensus online is this model of tractor has too weak of front end for doing anything over 1000# regularly. I’ll still get a bucket if I come across one for the right price. There’s lots of these little tractors in bone piles around here.

It looks big but weighs about the same as a medium skid steer 5k i belive is what the diesel version weighs so this lp should be under that.

I think unballasted they're under 4000#. Tires might be filled though, which can add a lot. If they aren't already, you can certainly fill them. Personally I'd skip the loader. As you said, the front axle isn't really designed for it. Also, it'll really reduce it's maneuverability. A straight up gear tractor with a loader just isn't a real productive machine. And you'd need a lot of weight on the three point to have any traction once you pick up a load. Just my .02 though.

A couple of remotes to add a mast and a hydraulic top link would make a pretty decent setup though. Those three point masts can usually be had for under $500.

Back