Does anyone heat with wood Durham N.C. area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Seidler

Reaction score
Does anyone heat with wood in Durham N.C. area. We have a vogelzang ponderosa in a single story 2100sqft home. I have around 5 cords of dry seasoned wood ready to go. Can anyone tell me if this will get us through winter. Only heat source

There are too many variables to answer your question honestly. Things like how tight is your home? Windows good? Insulation level? Also items like how warm are you planning on keeping it? How are you distributing the heat is going to change your fire load. ETC. The stove is plenty big I will give you that.

The rule I learned from lots of folks on here is be prepared for the unknown. Have lots of dry wood ready because you always need more.

I live over by Fayetteville, NC and normally burn 3 or 4 cords a year. I have an older small home that's not insulated very well. If I was you I'd get a couple of cords more and if you don't use it this year, use it the next. I would much rather have to much wood than not enough. I have around 10 cords at the moment.

Does anyone heat with wood in Durham N.C. area. We have a vogelzang ponderosa in a single story 2100sqft home. I have around 5 cords of dry seasoned wood ready to go. Can anyone tell me if this will get us through winter. Only heat source
I live over by Fayetteville, NC and normally burn 3 or 4 cords a year. I have an older small home that's not insulated very well. If I was you I'd get a couple of cords more and if you don't use it this year, use it the next. I would much rather have to much wood than not enough. I have around 10 cords at the moment.

Last winter for a lot of folks was a prime example of having extra wood on hand is a good thing. I ended up burning another five cord I usually don't. Glad I planned ahead and had plenty on hand as it was no weather around here to have went to the timber and cut more.

Back