Does anyone know where I can get free firewood where I live?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckhunter1

Reaction score
I live in Victoria, Texas 77901 and would like to know where I can get free firewood if possible. If you have any suggestions, I would like to know.

Look at state or federal land permits.

Post on craigslist.

When you are driving, if you see dead or blowdown trees, offer to cut them up for the homeowner.

Call a tree service and offer to dispose of their wood, someone might be interested.

Get to know your neighbors. I always have 30+ cords at my house drying at any given time, people see this and come to me with trees they need removed.

There is no such thing as free wood, we pay for it with the labor that goes into it. If you look at a cord of wood, the wood is not worth very much, the labor, equipment,fuel and depreciation is where the cost is.

Truth is, you will need to take initiative and find it yourself. Most of us where in your position at one time or another.

Dan

Sounds like you're starting out. Good time to research the various tree species in your, including how to identify them. It won't be instant, but can save lots of time & effort.

Just ask, you probably won't get any without asking.

See a construction crew starting a new site and clearing, ask;

See a tree service crew working at a residential house, ask;

See a line crew doing some maintenance, ask;

Township/county crew out doing some "work", ask;

See a down tree in someone's yard, ask;

Ask everyone, you will begin to learn who to, and who not to ask in your area.

I thought texas went through this multi year drought and lost millions of trees? Should be any number of tree service places might turn you onto some just to get rid of all that. But I don't know either, just guessing.

Take a look for pallets too. Probably best to mix them with regular firewood as they can burn a bit hot and fast since they're usually very dry compared to regular firewood. Bit of a pain to cut up and work with since you have to watch for the nails, but beggars can't be choosers. I look for them stacked by the road, sometimes the company will even put up a "free" sign, or tossed hap-hazardly by the dumpster. If they stack them neatly away from the road and dumpsters I figure they're keeping them either for their own use or they have a used pallet company which comes and buys them.

I have to drive through a long industrial strip for work once a week...how I wish I trusted my pickup to make the trip right now, if I brought a saw with me to knock 'em down to make the wood compact as I collected them I could probably have filled my Ranger with a 1/4 cord of wood several times this summer on the drive home :D

Surprised me a as last year when I was driving the truck I didn't actually see that many pallets being put out (maybe it's a sign the economy is improving a bit).

Looks like the Woodboogas are starting to come out now that there's a tinge of crispness in the air and the pallet piles are disappearing.

I live in Victoria, Texas 77901 and would like to know where I can get free firewood if possible. If you have any suggestions, I would like to know.
I just had some trees cut down and I have plenty of free firewood that needs hauled off . I live in Springtown Tx 76082.

I’m new at this posting. So is there anyone out there that would like to haul of my trees that I just had cut down? They are cut up and stacked. You will need a large trailer or truck .
I would start a new thread stating “free firewood TX”

How close is Lebanon PA to Texas? I know Texas is large enough to swallow the British isles a few times over but I'm no good at the state abbreviations so no idea where Lebanon is. To me it's a middle Eastern country.

Latest posts

Back