Does the factory test-start all saws before shipping out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue42

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I bought a new 395xp that arrived today. The box was beat up like it had been around the world a few times, a foot holding a rubber damper was broken off, and I can't get the chain brake to click forward. It hasn't ever had chain oil in it, but it has had gas in the tank. I can smell it. I'm wondering if the factory starts all their saws as a test before shipping them out, or if somebody bought this, started it up and found the chain brake and/or something else broken, and returned it, and now this seller has a source of returned/refurbished/half-way broken chainsaws and is selling them as "new."

If not the factory does it, the store is obligated to do it - at least with Huskvarna. My guess is it's damaged at it's way to you.
When I bought my 445 they didn't want to give it to me before one of the store employees had started it up in their garage/workshop and throttled it some.
He came back in to the store and said: "its OK".

Every saw or other power tool has to complete a test run after the assembly process in the test box. The test run is driven by a computer (robot) and takes around 5 minutes. At least this is how Stihl does it. Everything is checked and tuned during the test run (different speed ranges, load, power output (dyno test), exhaust gas etc.)

The seller was apologetic and sent a return label. I'm exchanging it for the same one. I'm waiting for the conclusion of the transaction before writing any review or saying who the shop is. It's not fair to contribute to giving anyone a bad name prematurely. The saw was obviously new. I called and he said it was the last one they had. So it had probably been getting kicked around the shop for a long time and sitting at the bottom of the pile. We'll see how the next one arrives.

I pushed on the chain brake as hard as I could without fear of breaking something. But if that's normal for the 395's Andre, I guess I'll push harder on the next one. I just really have to wonder, isn't that thing supposed to protect you if the saw tries to kick up? That freaking thing wouldn't be engaging for anything less than a 100% effort kick right on it. The saw would cut your arm off before that brake engaged incidentally.

I wanted to update this while I'm on here. Better late than never. Got the replacement saw and it's great. Seller was Gentleman and the sale was on Power Outdoor Equipment's site. Very happy with the purchase.

On another topic, I welded up an exhaust setup with a dirtbike muffler attached to the Granberg mill, to quiet the exhaust down, and it's working real good (although it took about ten times the amount of time I had expected, of course). I plan to put pictures and equipment list and instructions on here when I get to it.

One of the big issues with cheap consumer saws that are purchased at the box stores is they are never started or tested in any way before being sold and the nominal factory settings of the carb are frequently wrong and usually too lean. Any reputable dealer will always set the saw up and make sure it is running right before selling it.

Latest posts

Back