Does this blower sound off to you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold Coast Shipping

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey folks - I just noticed that one of our seldom used blowers has an odd sound to my ear. A bit of a metallic ring that I can hear on idle.

The video was taken while the blower was hot, after 5-10 minutes of steady use. I think the carb needs adjusting too, since we just had a serious cold snap, but I don't think the sound I'm talking about is carb related.

Any opinions?

(BTW, I haven't posted a video here before, so apologies if this isn't the right way to do it)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17suMO-8Q9fq-4qL1FQ9nNvwm3M9iT_71/view

Had something similar with my stihl kombi. Like a bell at idling. I went to a higher octane fuel and it cured it. Maybe a coincidence but i don’t hear it anymore. What octane are you using? Good luck!

Had something similar with my stihl kombi. Like a bell at idling. I went to a higher octane fuel and it cured it. Maybe a coincidence but i don’t hear it anymore. What octane are you using? Good luck!

Thanks for the replies - Using Aspen 2 premix, which they say is 92 octane. No issues with the other same model blowers on the same fuel.

Pull muffler and have a look...could be anything from muffler loose, something inside muffler is loose, or worse .
Typically nothing rattles for long on 2 strokes but who knows... I've been surprised more than once over the years particularly if someone else worked on it.
Good luck but please post your results so we can all learn from your experience.
Thanks.

Finally had some time to pull this thing apart. Looks a little juicy in there, something's not right. The gummy deposits are all over the rear, bottom, and lower front sides of the muffler too. Maybe just from running too rich, but I don't see why it should be wet this far back.

And I'm not sure if this is related to the odd noise. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• DSC06490.JPG
    DSC06490.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
Thanks Toby. Unfortunately for me, that sounds consistent with what I'm experiencing.

Complicated fix?
Not complicated, and not too expensive either, just a little time consuming due to the whole thing having to come apart, it's a clamshell engine so once the engine is out, it all comes apart quite easily, you will need a puller to remove the bearings from the crank.

Not complicated, and not too expensive either, just a little time consuming due to the whole thing having to come apart, it's a clamshell engine so once the engine is out, it all comes apart quite easily, you will need a puller to remove the bearings from the crank.
Thanks Toby, maybe a good project for the winter here then. Appreciate the advice.

Shake muffler to determine if baffle is loose.
Flywheel comes off by runniing nut up to top of shaft to create a flat surface.
Usually I can hold the flywheel and hit the nut/shaft with a good shot and pops apart. Others I've needed to apply some prying pressure underneath with a larger screwdriver or the right sized wedge.
Simple job
Again, I thought it ran pretty good so that would imply the seals are good.
Removing flywheel would further determine where the residue is coming from...could be the muffler residue only?

Good luck on this project and I'd be interested in the outcome.

Thanks Medalist - muffler baffle is solid.

When I listen real close it does sound like a spun bearing, and on the flywheel side even. We'll see what's under there when I get a bit of free time.

bg56 bg86 had a habit of going through crankend bearings, although Stihl denies It. The cage would beak up and balls roll around, sometimes takes out cylinder, sometimes it doesn’t. Starts off making that noise then locks up when balls Get on one side of bearing

Back