Does this chainsaw wound need stitches?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brushwacker

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Took my chaps out of the truck for a swap meet and forgot to put them back or I'd had them on. So i am falling a small tree trying to keep it inside a fence line doing 1 of my trick cuts about 4 to 5 foot up on the stump at steep angle so the butt would slide down to the ground and it would fall short of the fence. Learned the hard way why not to cut up high like that. The butt coming down sent the 025 downward also and the blade bounced off my knee before the chain stopped. If I had chapps on ,pretty sure it would have stopped chain . To many no no,s on my part.
Bleeding has stopped now that i ve been reclined for the night. Was bleeding enough to soak through the bandage and wet the whole knee area of my pants when i was actively doing some evening chores

Attachments

• 20201019_190645.jpg
    20201019_190645.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 260
  • 20201020_000140.jpg
    20201020_000140.jpg
    921.1 KB · Views: 236
Ouch! Looks like a good bleeder. I'd be concerned with keeping it clean and covered while it heals. Most docs will tell you truthfully that stitches are mainly to minimize the scar. If you can manage to steri-strip/tape it closed enough to get a scab for a handful of days, you should be in the clear. Definitely get checked out if you can't keep it closed or it continues to bleed in the first 24 hours. Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice. Has been doing fine since last night, done light chores and some more outside. So far almost as clean as when i went to sleep about 11 hours ago. Gonna keep an eye on it until i finish few more chores (no conveniant back up for my animal chores) if i can get to a dr today, think i will.

You really should, infections are no joke. My wife's best friend died from an infection that started in her pancrease and spread in her body, she was 31.

I've toughed out many flesh wounds, but that looks kinda deep, better to be safe than Lt. Dan.

At the very least, I'd expect that a cut like that needs to be thoroughly cleaned out.

Don't be "tough guy" on it, doing that may result it far worse issues. An infection can happen quickly!

A kid that works at the shop rolled his side by side and got an ugly cut/scrape on his leg. He largely ignored it until he was forced to go have it looked at.
Well...
He's still dealing with it over a year later, ended up with necrotizing facsitis (flesh eating infection).
He had a special drain and pump system for a while and ended up in surgery for muscle removal.

Not telling you what to do, but my ass would be at the Dr right away to have it checked, cleaned, antibiotics, etc.
Pretty much what was done at the clinic today. Antibiotic for 10 days, clean and dress 2 times a day, let it get air at night so it dries. Said it is started to heal already or they might of considered a staple in 1 spot.

Pretty much what was done at the clinic today. Antibiotic for 10 days, clean and dress 2 times a day, let it get air at night so it dries. Said it is started to heal already or they might of considered a staple in 1 spot.
Good man, you will never regret taking the extra precaution, and now us guys won't have to possibly read about you getting very sick.

Back in about 2014, i was working in my shop hanging some hand tools on a wall rack. Of all the stupid things that could happen, a pitchfork fell of the rack and one of the tines stuck into my forearm about 1/4 below the skin. It hurt pretty bad but bled very little, but looked pretty black and blue. I did what I normally do and threw the pitch fork , swore at it, and went on with what I was doing.
Later that evening I casually told my wife the story "look at this hole in my arm from a f$@#&! Pitchfork...." well in about 10 minutes we were in the car to the 24hr emergency care, with me like the dumb family dog going to the vet. Got it looked at, cleaned, tetanus booster. I got lectured on taking injuries seriously, and in hindsight I learned something about not being apathetic about getting hurt and getting medical treatment when you really ought to.

A major problem is one only has a few hours after injury to get stiches. After a few hours alcohol and peroxide is what is needed. Plenty of bleeding is also essential. I have almost never had any infections my whole life probably because I have always had so make cuts. Hopefully will not start having them now. Keeping wound clean is a major requirement with exposure to air. Thanks

Back