Does this look like i could use a 59DL chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacAttack

I love the smell of 2-stroke
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, sorry i didn't do a new member thread yet, but i will. I'm glad to have joined after reading many posts here.

I am fixing up my late Grandfather's old saw, a 1961 Power Machinery 270 Canadien. The existing old chain is .404 pitch, .058 Guage, and 60 drive links. It is completely shot, especially since 20 years ago i ground the rakers off for some dumb reason. This chain is getting hard to find. I did find a 59 DL chain on Ebay in the correct pitch and gauge. This picture shows the old 60DL chain with the bar in the minimum adjustment. Does it look like a 59 DL chain would work? It would be . 808" shorter, correct?

Thank you!

AJ

Attachments

• 20191117_173051.jpg
    20191117_173051.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 41
Take it to a shop. They will make you a chain from a bulk reel. And in the process use the proper number of drive links.

The large shop i took it to told me they had no access to that style of chain and to look on Ebay for a chain. I kid you not.

I'm at the mercy of whatever i can find and make work...

I'm thinking with all that slack in a 60DL, even accounting for some elongation, a 59DL chain would probably work? Sorry I'm just looking for agreement before i spend money on something on Ebay.

The large shop i took it to told me they had no access to that style of chain and to look on Ebay for a chain. I kid you not.

That doesn't sound right. .404 pitch, .058 Guage is not a rare chain. A different shop, or get a bar that can work with a chain that is available. As far as 59dl or 60dl, you are the best to answer that. It is all in front of you.

That doesn't sound right. .404 pitch, .058 Guage is not a rare chain. A different shop, or get a bar that can work with a chain that is available. As far as 59dl or 60dl, you are the best to answer that. It is all in front of you.

It didn't sound right to me either, they pulled out both their Stihl and Oregon fat catalogues and told me that chain is NLA.
I also have the emails back from distributors online that I contacted that told me all they have in 404 pitch is 063 and 080 gauge.

If you know of a shop with 404 pitch 058 gauge readily available I'd love to talk to them.

Maybe call Oregon. If they don't have it (might not be listed), then,,, I don't know. New bar?

The bar is an odd pattern too... there are some close bar mount patterns, but at the very least I'd have to drill relocated holes for the adjuster.

I already have an email to Oregon, watching for a response. Thank you for the ideas!

Where did you come up with the DL count? Is that what's stamped on the bar? I bet that if you had 3/8 chain, 60DL would be perfect.

So, doing the math and reworking for 0.404, it looks like you need 55 or 56 drivers for that bar.

Pick up a Harbor Freight spinner/breaker combo, and some presets and tiestraps. The cheap spinner is not that bad and will allow you the ability to play until you figure out what you need.

Where did you come up with the DL count? Is that what's stamped on the bar? I bet that if you had 3/8 chain, 60DL would be perfect.

So, doing the math and reworking for 0.404, it looks like you need 55 or 56 drivers for that bar.

Pick up a Harbor Freight spinner/breaker combo, and some presets and tiestraps. The cheap spinner is not that bad and will allow you the ability to play until you figure out what you need.

Hi Bobby,

60 drivers are what is on the old chain that i have on the saw. I'm not sure if you are suggesting to use 3/8" chain but that's a no-go, the sprockets are different between 3/8 (. 375") and .404, which is what the saw uses.

EDIT: After re-reading your post, i think i know what you meant. That old sagging chain in my picture is the old 404 pitch 058 gauge chain, 60 drive links, which unfortunately is unusable due to the chisels being completely worn out, and also because long ago i ground the rakers completely off.

I can buy a matching chain i found on ebay with one fewer DL.

Are you unable to judge it by pulling a couple links together?

Since the chain is trash, how bout knocking a drive link out and hang it on the bar? You can hang it up and measure the length to get an idea of the stretch. That's the way I measure bicycle chains for replacement.

Are you unable to judge it by pulling a couple links together? Since the chain is trash, how bout knocking a drive link out and hang it on the bar?

Hi There,

Based on pulling a few links together it seems like i could easily use a chain with one less drive link. My only uncertainty, because of not having as much experience with very old chains, was whether the old chain could possibly have such severe wear in the rivets that the chain could have elongated something like 2 inches. If this isn't typically possible, i could most likely use the 59 DL chain.

I always appreciate the input and opinions of tbose with more experience. My chain experience was historically making a lot of new 3/8 chains for the tree crews when i worked at a tree service. Those chains never had a chance to stretch.

I edited my post before seeing your response. Gravity will take care of the slack if you break the chain and hang it on a finish nail to measure.

I’d get a new .063” gage bar and .404” .063” skip semi chain.

I’m changing all my 80 cc saws over to .404” .063 chain next.

404 is less common but you can find a shop in Canada for sure

I’d get a new .063” gage bar and .404” .063” skip semi chain.

I’m changing all my 80 cc saws over to .404” .063 chain next.
This is great.
I am wanting the same.
Long bars just dont hold 3/8 as good as 404.

I get peeassed losing 3/8 on 32" and bigger bars.

My first 2100 with 404 chain out lasted my 3/8” chain like three to one. The 404 teeth are longer.

My 2100’s, 1100/385/285 will all run 404.

Latest posts

Back