Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Does this palm tree look safe to climb?

Discussion in 'Arborist 101' started by Tree94, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Tree94

Tree94 ArboristSite Operative

I've got this palm tree scheduled for removal Monday morning. It's in a backyard so it will need to be climbed to the top and taken down in pieces. I've climbed lots of palm trees, but this particular palm gets pretty skinny in the middle. What are the chances of this thing actually snapping from my weight on it?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Tree94

I'd say at it's skinniest point, it's about 8-10" diameter

3. Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins Firewood by TJ

It is likely safe to climb, but it is not me going up the tree. It is probably 98% safe. The 2% chance might be a problem. The tree has stood several years of wind storms with out failure. What I do with those is set a line on the upper section for it to be lowered then put a rope saw about 3/4 ways up and start pulling the rope saw. The top fall over and yanks on the line but it can be lowered safely. Thanks

Tree94 likes this.
  4. Tree94

Any more feedback?

5. Tree94

Update:
    I removed this tree today. Climbed to the top, chucked it down in pieces. Was a little wobbly but held just fine.

Only issue I had was the trunk was literally hard as concrete. I could not get my spikes to penetrate it easily.

I ended up taking a Milwaukee cordless drill and a 3/8's wood bit up there and drilling my own holes for my spikes as I went.
    Never done that before but definitely something I will do again in the future on hard trees.
    Eucalyptus's sometimes get like that for me too.

CacaoBoy and treesmith like this.
  6. Ted Jenkins

Very glad no issues arose and you managed to get it down with out incident. Palm Trees are very strong and they bend with out breaking. I have gone up hard trees only to have the spurs slip which is unnerving. Thanks

Tree94 likes this.
  7. Tree94

In the middle..

Attached Files:

Benjamin S Pendleton likes this.
  8. Ted Jenkins

Would you climb it again with what you know now? I have a close friend who has worked with me for years off and on. We used to make lite of climbing dangers. To me it was always serious for him he apparently did not always take the risk as serious. At 66 YO I do not care so much about life ending issues as much as getting crippled. I had a difficult leaner that I struggled to get it down safely, but managed. He worked for county search and rescue. He asked me about a tree and I told him I would help him stabilize the tree before climbing and he went ahead and climbs a tree to rescue a cat. At the 40' level the tree broke and left him with 30 broken or fractured bones. After spending three months in the hospital and six months in rehab he is more cautious. Thanks

9. Benjamin S Pendleton

Benjamin S Pendleton ArboristSite Lurker

Now you just need a morbark hurricane to chip that up. Say how much did you charge to remove that one. It looks to be at least a 1000 dollar tree around here.