Does two cycle oil go bad?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYH1

Tacticle Chainsaw Operator.
Reaction score
I've got a few "six packs" of Stihl two cycle oil (2.6 oz. bottles) from 5 or 6 years ago. It's never been opened. I was wondering if this stuff go's bad with time? Thanks, NYH1!

It shouldn't

It goes vintage.

mellows the flavor

All kidding aside......if it has not been exposed to high heat or other adverse situations such as many hot cold cycles it should be fine.

It is always good to check though just pour it into a glass container and see if it has any globs or seperation. I had some old metal cans of sybthetic that seperated form long high heat storage.

PEST, you mean it isn't going taste the same, awe man! LOL. It's been out in my garage all this time. Temperatures have gone from 95 plus degrees in the summer to 0 or -10 degrees in the winter. I'll get rid of it. I want to try some better oil anyway's. Now to figure out what to use! Thanks!

Save yourself the time and :deadhorse: and do a search for oils. You will be overwhelmed with info from all the great posts of Oil topics past.

Jim Mesthene said:
Why not start a thread about which oil to use?
Synthetic or mineral?
Then another about what mix?
Kind of did that a few weeks ago. I'll search later. Thanks though! :cheers:

Facetious

fa'ce'tious? [fuh-see'-shuhs] –adjective
1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
2. amusing; humorous.
3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.

Jim Mesthene said:
fa'ce'tious? [fuh-see'-shuhs] –adjective
1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
2. amusing; humorous.
3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.
I never asked you or anyone else on this post what oil I should use. I was just making a statement. I just figured since you answered my post you were serious. When I answer someone else's post I'm serious. If you don't like the questions I ask don't respond.

I've wondered what is the shelf life of full synthetic oil once opened.

What is the graphic for ducking for incoming flack?

NYH1 said:
I'll get rid of it.

I got two things to say......

1st
Hell, dont throw it out, mail it off to someone who uses 90wt for premix in their Dinosaw.

LIke me! Ill even pay shipping,K?

2nd
This thread was getting funny then it stopped.

Bring back the funny.:D

Oil Life

NYH1 said:
I've got a few "six packs" of Stihl two cycle oil (2.6 oz. bottles) from 5 or 6 years ago. It's never been opened. I was wondering if this stuff go's bad with time? Thanks, NYH1!

Oil never goes bad. It's a myth. Do research on it. It gets dirty but doesn't go bad, and it could be filtered out. Just sitting in a bottle w/out exposure to combustion, it's life is almost indefinite. FYI...

oil life

ciscoguy01 said:
Oil never goes bad. It's a myth. Do research on it. It gets dirty but doesn't go bad, and it could be filtered out. Just sitting in a bottle w/out exposure to combustion, it's life is almost indefinite. FYI...

I second Cisco.......

Moisture

B_Turner said:
Absorption of moisture over time was what I was wondering about.

Ever see what happens to oil when it's mixed with water? They are two wayyyy different liquids. You'd see the water with the oil. If your concerned, use a little coffee filter or something when you dump in the little container.:rock:

Back