ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

Dog cover for over shoulder carry

thomasinvancouver

thomasinvancouver

ArboristSite Operative
I have a True North bar scabbard, but the dogs on my 462 occasionally jab me in the neck. Is there a solution available that covers the dogs when using a bar cover? Has anyone come up with a DIY solution? This is for hiking while clearing trails. Having stock or a motorcycle carry the saw isn’t an option.

billyboy

ArboristSite Operative
You could get a chunk of wood, say 2”x 1” x 7” or whatever you need , cut a curf down the middle of the length to fit over the dogs, use a small bungy cord to pull the wood against the dogs and run the bungy thru the handle around to the front handle bar. Just a farmer idea.

michpatriot

michpatriot

ArboristSite Lurker
You could try and use Chicago screws to hold a leather flap on, the scabbard I own came with dog covers on it. It wouldn't be too hard to cut a piece of leather or even a truck mudflap into a suitible shape, and either rivet or Chicago screw it to the scabbard.

Attachments

• 16178898918331535805013828552482.jpg
    16178898918331535805013828552482.jpg
    911.5 KB · Views: 33

pbilly

ArboristSite Operative
if you wear suspenders you can put a thick piece of lesther on them for just that purpose if your bar is lone enough just move it a little further away from your neck and if you put your wedge axe on top of the bar with the head at the end it really helps counter balance it.

Bwildered

Bwildered

Tree Freak
I have a True North bar scabbard, but the dogs on my 462 occasionally jab me in the neck. Is there a solution available that covers the dogs when using a bar cover? Has anyone come up with a DIY solution? This is for hiking while clearing trails. Having stock or a motorcycle carry the saw isn’t an option.
Try a different carry method, bar to the rear, saw on its side cover on the shoulder, hold the saw around the throttle grip handle, that one has worked for me for 20 years.