Dolkita 64xx/73xx/79xx chain catcher upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jl4c

Extraordinarily ordinary
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my former Home Depot rental DCS-6401 to 7901. While doing so I took the opportunity to freshen up a few things like the guide plate, chip guide/deflector, the "sponge" near the chain brake lever linkage, chain catch, etc.

A little back story... When I got the saw the original chain catch was in pretty bad shape. Not to mention it was a fairly insubstantial piece, made from just 3/32" thick aluminum. Since aluminum work hardens, I took a propane torch and annealed it before bending it back into its original shape with a vise and hammer. That has worked fine since 2012 when I bought the saw (for <$195 out the door). But the catch was still a bit rough looking.

Fast forward to today... since I was making an order for parts anyway, I ordered a new chain catch. The new one I received today is about 50% thicker than the original part. Not only that, it has a little tang that locks between the inboard dawg and the crankcase. It's a much better and more substantial part than the original.

The p/n I ordered is
chain catch (038-111-171)

Back