Dolmar 116si

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an old Sachs Dolmar 116si but I'm missing the steel brake band from the chain brake mechanism. Is there anyone out there in chainsaw land who can help me? The local chainsaw bloke at Lithgow (NSW, Australia) told me the company no longer exists and he can't get the part. The saw cuts like a champion but is a bit unsafe without the chainbrake.
I will ask a bloke i know who has a few old dolmars

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have a mate who loves to collect and use the saws he collects for firewood and general cutting etc. He gets a kick out of using some of his old saws.
Now,
A Dolmar 116 in good running condition is a good saw for firewood and general cutting. It will NOT let you down.
But,
Ir wont have as much power as a new 60cc saw,
It will be heavier than a new 60cc saw,
It will be slower than a new 60cc saw and
Parts arr getting hard to find if you ever need any.
But it is a very HONEST saw mate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks Matt. Are you a former Blackheath scout? (Just out of interest) I've used a Stihl 031av Farmboss since I bought it new in early 1980 (Aussie $163 from memory) for firewood;great saw but it's now pretty dead. I picked up the old Dolmar on ebay as a replacement and, as mentioned in an earlier post, it cuts really well but the seller "forgot" to mention the brake band was broken and it just was not worth the hassle and expense of returning it. I chased up Makita who actually owned Dolmar when the saw was produced but they haven't stocked the part since the late nineties.

Regards,
Allan

I have just aquired a dolmar 116si, what makes it so special as to be a collectors item and what is it worth?
Great saw if (and only if) you can obtain the parts. I've been using a 116i for a while now but cannot obtain a steel band for the chain brake. An old timer told me to just wrap the brake handle with knotted rags. In the event of kickback (heaven forbid !) he reckons the rags will tangle up the chain and bring it to a halt. Sounds a bit dodgy to me but better than nothing I suppose. Sadly I hear that Stihl, Husqvarna, Makita, Echo etc do not offer good service, parts or worthwhile warranties anymore. Sad.

116 and 120 share common parts, brake band on the one I had ( 116SI) was long gone when acquired- I never came across one here state side. I sold the unit to another fellow that had a 116 for parts. Dolmar was acquired by Makita just a few years ago. Makita was not involved when that saw was built. At present, I have 4 Dolmars and one Dolita ( Makita blue gray- other than the plastics it is the same as the Dolmar under the covers) Only glitch I have run into other than the 116 brake band was I blew a base gasket on a 7900. It had about 10 years of good use on at that time. New gasket and it is still purring with its siblings.like anything else The ethanol laced fuel does cause some difficulties at times. I am far enough away from metro areas than I can get non laced fuel at any station in my area, which is what I run preferably.

I have an old Sachs Dolmar 116si but I'm missing the steel brake band from the chain brake mechanism. Is there anyone out there in chainsaw land who can help me? The local chainsaw bloke at Lithgow (NSW, Australia) told me the company no longer exists and he can't get the part. The saw cuts like a champion but is a bit unsafe without the chainbrake.
Spares are available in part in Europe on eBay

Latest posts

Back