Dolmar 421 crank seal, bearing removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dolmars are now made in China. When this saw stopped working I got the Makita version, the 4300. They appear identical except for where they’re made.

Thanks for the info. I’ll have too google measuring a ring gap, this all new to me.
Is the same tool used to split the case used to close the case?
@fordf150 or any of the builders, do you have spec for the ring gap for this saw, Dolmar 421.
The ring gap is the small space between the ends of the ring when it is in the bore, normally
I would replace the ring, they are not expensive and it saves measuring, but to measure you take it
off the piston, slide it into the bore, use the piston to gently push it up the bore to where it needs to seal
and measure the small gap with the same type of gauges you would use to set valve clearances plug gaps and such.
There is usually a spec that you need to be within.
Make sure you align the ring so the split does not end up in a port, like the exhaust or intake, you could break it that way.

Dolmars are now made in China. When this saw stopped working I got the Makita version, the 4300. They appear identical except for where they’re made.
Yes, but in what way did it stop working, did you take the muffler off and look in to see if the piston or cylinder was ok, or scored,
I would do this before ordering any parts.
Depends on the price of the tool, and how comfortable you are splitting the case and putting it all back together.
It isn't that difficult if you are mechanically inclined, if not then that's a different story.
And no, the same tool is not used to clamp the case back together, at least not that I know of.
At 2:14 you can see this Efco case being pressed together,

Yes, but in what way did it stop working, did you take the muffler off and look in to see if the piston or cylinder was ok, or scored,
I would do this before ordering any parts.
Depends on the price of the tool, and how comfortable you are splitting the case and putting it all back together.
It isn't that difficult if you are mechanically inclined, if not then that's a different story.
And no, the same tool is not used to clamp the case back together, at least not that I know of.
At 2:14 you can see this Efco case being pressed together,

So, it looks like someone with a generic shop press could squeeze it back together?

I like the fabricated tool I’ve seen on YouTube using the bar nuts to split the cade.

I haven’t noticed scoring but a mechanic didn’t think an crank seal air leak alone would prevent the saw from starting. I also didn’t get the case to hold any air but I was sealing the carb off with my thumb. Enough air got in to create bubbles though

I haven’t noticed scoring but a mechanic didn’t think an crank seal air leak alone would prevent the saw from starting. I also didn’t get the case to hold any air but I was sealing the carb off with my thumb. Enough air got in to create bubbles though
Yes, a generic press would be a big help. But if your concerned, just send the saw to someone to do the job,
now would be a good time to get it ported, a porter will have all the tools and experience required to send you
back a little beast, the saw needs stripped anyway, and paying someone to do it will cost, so why not go the full
distance and pay the right man to port it, yes it will cost extra, but you get extra in return. Or you just keep the saw
for parts, after all they are stopping production this year.

Who ports saws? Is it a standard service small engine mechanics offer?
Stop production? Makita makes them now.
No more Makita or Dolmar gas saws after this year, its official. Kogi / Tanak are also out of the game.
Here is a ported 4300, not sure the porter is on here.
@huskihl is a porter, not sure how many other porters are on here, but if you ask for one am sure
someone will point you in the right direction, and no its not a standard small engine shop task.

Dolmar was bought out by Makita 20 years ago or so. Red was Dolmar, blue was Makita. And then they phased out the Dolmar name a few years ago, and they made red Makitas. Regardless, blue and red came off the same line. On a few smaller models, the parts were made in Germany and were assembled in China.

No more Makita or Dolmar gas saws after this year, its official. Kogi / Tanak are also out of the game.
Here is a ported 4300, not sure the porter is on here.
@huskihl is a porter, not sure how many other porters are on here, but if you ask for one am sure
someone will point you in the right direction, and no its not a standard small engine shop task.

Thanks for the mention.
Yes I could port it and do the seals/bearings while I was in there

I chose to work on this saw to learn. I now own most tools to work on it except a case tool and a sonic cleaner. I’ll likely have a local metal guy make me a case tool.
I’ll look into what porting is about, it may make more sense to do it my Makita or Husky 555.

thanks for all the information

It looks like the homemade splitting tool works only on the half of the case with the bar bolts. Are there as many splitting tools as there are chainsaw brands?

thanks again

I chose to work on this saw to learn. I now own most tools to work on it except a case tool and a sonic cleaner. I’ll likely have a local metal guy make me a case tool.
I’ll look into what porting is about, it may make more sense to do it my Makita or Husky 555.

thanks for all the information

It looks like the homemade splitting tool works only on the half of the case with the bar bolts. Are there as many splitting tools as there are chainsaw brands?

thanks again
That's why most people send their saw off to someone who has the tools, it does not pay to
buy the tools unless they are going to be used regularly, too much expense, and they are also
only as good as the person using them, knowing how to not damage the case or the shaft is a must,
too much pressure, caused by pulling off center, or for any other reason, and you will bend crack or
otherwise render something useless.
It all up to the individual.

That's why most people send their saw off to someone who has the tools, it does not pay to
buy the tools unless they are going to be used regularly, too much expense, and they are also
only as good as the person using them, knowing how to not damage the case or the shaft is a must,
too much pressure, caused by pulling off center, or for any other reason, and you will bend crack or
otherwise render something useless.
It all up to the individual.
The cost of tools is likely not much more than having someone do the work. Plus there isn’t any satisfaction of learning anything. Do you get kickbacks? Who in the world mails chainsaws out to be repaired? Most people who “send” their saw off are probably not on a forum that discusses repairing chainsaws.

The cost of tools is likely not much more than having someone do the work. Plus there isn’t any satisfaction of learning anything. Do you get kickbacks? Who in the world mails chainsaws out to be repaired? Most people who “send” their saw off are probably not on a forum that discusses repairing chainsaws.
Am sure you will figure it all out to your satisfaction.

4300 is ASSEMBLED in china. all the major parts are still actually made in germany. makita plays games with the made in, assembled in tagging. I assume there is a tax benefit for choosing made in vs the much more accurate assembled in tag.

just for reference....
32, 35, 3601, 4300, 5600 are final assembled in china

5000, 6100, 7300, 7900 are still made in germany

concrete saws are final assembled in europe somewhere....cant remember the name of the country

buy the genuine OEM husky case splitting tool. its around $60 and works on just about every saw out there as long as they dont have case stuffers.

do not waste your money on the chinese knockoffs. they last about 2 saws then your repairing them and the savings isnt there to justify it...last i looked they were like $40

Dolmar was bought out by Makita 20 years ago or so. Red was Dolmar, blue was Makita. And then they phased out the Dolmar name a few years ago, and they made red Makitas. Regardless, blue and red came off the same line. On a few smaller models, the parts were made in Germany and were assembled in China.
1991is when makita bought dolly.

buy the genuine OEM husky case splitting tool. its around $60 and works on just about every saw out there as long as they dont have case stuffers.

do not waste your money on the chinese knockoffs. they last about 2 saws then your repairing them and the savings isnt there to justify it...last i looked they were like $40
And I apparently need a tool to seat the new ones which calls for heating and cooling as well. Correct? I bought the tools for everything else up to this point but I think I’ll let a shop do this work.

Back