Dolmar 421problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbutcher56

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a ps421 bought new in Nov.2015. Always kept clean .I run 93 octane sunoco gas with Husky oil. I really like the saw have cut around 6 chords of firewood with it without a problem . I was cutting some oak tree tops Friday and the saw all at once would not idle down, didn't stay at full throttle but high enough the chain was spinning pretty fast. I shut it down and checked for obstruction in the linkage checked to see the fuel filter was still in place. Still had 1/2 tank of fuel.??? Restarted still wouldn't idle . I let the saw sit for an hour (used a different saw) and restarted it did idle then but kind of rough. I took the saw home cleaned it up the spark plug recently replaced was a gray/ white color! I called the dealer he said to run the low idle screw in and back to original position a couple times and try it again. I'm concerned about an air leak somewhere and don't want to trash a piston. I really like this saw!! Anyone else had any problems with their Dolmar.

Pull the muffler and look the 421 muffler is easy... take a picture have you been cutting in realy cold weather and when this happened it was warm?

I did pull the muffler piston looks good. I should add when I changed the plug before the idle issues to was dark and a little wet. I also changed the fuel filter yesterday. I live in Northwest Ohio I have cut in the cold ,not real cold, the temp was in the 50's when the problem occurred. The dealer said in ten years he had never had to tear down a 421 . He seems to think there may be a little something in the carb

I would be very careful and leery on running it. I would also look in the carb and see if something is jamming the butterfly party open.

Anyone who repairs saws is it safe to run this saw to see if the problem is cleared, ie...obstruction in the carb . How long does it take to cause damage if there is an air leak.

Sorry sugarbush I was in the process of posting when you replied. I talked to 2 separate dealers one told me to richen the low idle siad he doubted it was an air leak since the saw is only a year old. The other told me what I posted earlier. I was going to put the saw in some wood today to see if the problem is still present. I will however take advice from you folks if you think it's not safe to run it I'll take it to the dealer tomorrow.

Anyone who repairs saws is it safe to run this saw to see if the problem is cleared, ie...obstruction in the carb . How long does it take to cause damage if there is an air leak.

depends on the size of the air leak
here is service manual to help with saw

Attachments

• 421 350 420 service manual.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 52
I talked to 2 separate dealers one told me to richen the low idle siad he doubted it was an air leak since the saw is only a year old.

Apparently said dealers have never heard of defective parts and/or assembly. It happens even to the best and that's why we pay an extra for warranty.

One very important thing when you take the saw to the dealership: when you'll go pick up the saw, have them write down and sign a brief description of what they've done. If there's truly an air leak and the piston gets scored they won't be able to blame it on you "fiddling" with the carburetor.

I should mention also that the saw has always started in a couple pulls . I inspected once again no damage visible through the exhaust port . I started the saw and it started easily 2 pulls. I haven't tried it in the wood yet so I don't know how it will be once it is warm / hot from use. I'm leery of running it in the wood now.

take it to a dealer and don't try to fix it yourself. the dealer shouldn't have told you to mess with carb. if it is an air leak you may be able to tune it out but thats a band aid fix. will eventually get worse.

An air leek can cause catastrophic damage in seconds. Tell your dealer to test it or you will take it to someone who will and forward any bills for him to try and pay through a warranty mess.

Thanks for the input !! To all of you. I haven't touched the carb as the manual says not to . I haven't run the saw except to start it on the bench just to see if it would idle . . . I'm going to take the saw to the dealer I bought it from tomorrow. He told me on the phone it was likely something floating around in the carb so I don't know if he'll test it for air leaks. I'll be sure and express my concerns and try to get everything documented. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks Again

It is also a plus if they just dismiss or over look an air leak that later causes a failure it is their fault for not doing their due diligence for an issue you brought to them. At least that is how I see it.

Dropped the saw off at the dealer this morning they said they had contacted Dolmar via email and Dolmar verified the saw is under warranty (I purchased it there on 11/5/15) and gave them the go ahead on repairs. We'll see how it goes!

Local Dolmar dealer tells me he's having trouble getting parts and saws due to Makita takeover. Any dealers here having problems?

Just dropped it off today I don't know what it needs yet. I don't know the dealer very well just trying to see if I'm getting good info from him. I appreciate the info. Hoping not to be without my saw too long !! Oak tree tops down the road for next year's heat!

Latest posts

Back