Dolmar 421problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiosity, what is manufactured at the Georgia facility?
It says made in China on the label . If it was made in Georgia I would think it would say made in USA. I was told that 40 cc and under Makitas are all now assembled in China. I'm not aware of any being assembled in Georgia. I'm not saying none are assembled there just not that I'm aware of.

My original saw that I had problems with was a Dolmar PS 421 I had it for a year before the problems started. The dealer I bought the saw from and Makita ( who took over Dolmar) could not seem to fix the saw so Makita finally sent me a replacement saw a Makita 4300 which replaced the Dolmar 421 no longer available.The Dolmar was made in Germany the Makita is made in China.
Oh I forgot or mis-read, I thought these problems started as you first used the saw...

I find this thread becomming quite paranoid. Not trusting chinese made products... How stupid is that? Don't buy any electronics, don't drive in a car, don't ever get operated because it is highly lickely that parts or the whole product were / was made in china.

Welcome to the real world...

Last comment on this looney tuney thread.

Good luck!

I find this thread becomming quite paranoid. Not trosting chinese made products... How stupid is that? Don't buy any electronics, don't drive in a car, don't ever get operated because it is highly lickely that parts or the whole product were / was made in china.

Welcome to the real world...

Last comment on this looney tuney thread.

Good luck!

It's not all or nothing. Many products contain some Chinese content, but the amount of Chinese content varies considerably across brands and models. You seem to be saying that since Chinese content can't be avoided entirely, people shouldn't concern themselves with the amount of Chinese content. This is illogical. With all due respect, the only thing "stupid" or "looney tuney" about this thread is your simple-minded analysis.

Doug

I tried to avoid Chinese made toys for my kids one year. Literally impossible unless you like wooden toys. Lol. Chinese made products are just a way of life.

It's true that Chinese products are a fact of life. It's not really possible to avoid all Chinese content. But while even German-made cars contain some Chinese components, there is a big difference between an Audi sedan and a Donfeng sedan in terms of the amount of Chinese content. There is no meaningful sense in which the Audi sedan is a Chinese-made car.

In the real world people do in fact have options. They can choose to buy a car with relatively less Chinese content. The same applies to chain saws.

Doug

They make something. It is a plant. Just not sure what

They make power tools at their Buford plant. Which ones? Well, based on this photo from the plant, at a minimum they make compound miter saws:

CiMUbudWsAUyPCk.jpg

I would guess that they also make drills and other construction tools. It's a big plant.

Doug

It's true that Chinese products are a fact of life. It's not really possible to avoid all Chinese content. But while even German-made cars contain some Chinese components, there is a big difference between an Audi sedan and a Donfeng sedan in terms of the amount of Chinese content. There is no meaningful sense in which the Audi sedan is a Chinese-made car.

In the real world people do in fact have options. They can choose to buy a car with relatively less Chinese content. The same applies to chain saws.

Doug

I think you are wrong.I work for an automotive spare parts shop.Audi or VW or Peugeot etc use Bosch or Valeo or Hella etc.If Hella or Valeo decide to build a factory in China,that doesn't mean that Audi cars contain Chinese parts.It is a completelly different thing.It's all about specifications and quality control.What i am trying to say is that Hella's or Valeo's quality control and specifications are the same,no matter the location.Apple products label:"Designed in California Assembled in China".Quality control and specs are from Cupertino and the final product is perfect.Dont' get confused by made in China labels.

I think you are wrong.I work for an automotive spare parts shop.Audi or VW or Peugeot etc use Bosch or Valeo or Hella etc.If Hella or Valeo decide to build a factory in China,that doesn't mean that Audi cars contain Chinese parts.It is a completelly different thing.It's all about specifications and quality control.What i am trying to say is that Hella's or Valeo's quality control and specifications are the same,no matter the location.Apple products label:"Designed in California Assembled in China".Quality control and specs are from Cupertino and the final product is perfect.Dont' get confused by made in China labels.

Some components made in China may be as good as (or even better than) the same components made elsewhere, whether they are built in a manufacturer's own plant or outsourced to a third party. But that doesn't change the fact that they are Chinese made. All cars contain some components that are made in China.

While some Chinese-made components are great, not all attempts to offshore production to China are successful in terms of quality control, in spite of the best efforts of manufacturers. There are plenty of case studies of failed attempts to maintain quality. In some cases production has been shifted back out of China as a result of quality control problems. The lesson from years of experience is that shifting production to China is always a bit risky. From a quality standpoint it may work out great, but that is not always the case. You can't just assume that because a manufacturer tries to maintain the same standards that they will be successful. And by the way, while Apple has been a success story, their final products certainly are not "perfect". :)

Finally, it's not just about quality control. People have a variety of reasons for wanting to reduce their purchases of Chinese-made goods, including political reasons. I won't rehash all of these.

Doug

Just a side note. This problem didn't start until I changed the spark plug?? I don't see how that could have anything to do with it. Maybe a coincidence! Could it be getting warm and pulling air from around the crush washer on the plug????

Not sure if this issue was resolved or not but did you replace the plug with the same plug? If not the heat range on the plug may be incorrect which could cause issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if this issue was resolved or not but did you replace the plug with the same plug? If not the heat range on the plug may be incorrect which could cause issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OEM replacement from the dealer.

Some components made in China may be as good as (or even better than) the same components made elsewhere, whether they are built in a manufacturer's own plant or outsourced to a third party. But that doesn't change the fact that they are Chinese made. All cars contain some components that are made in China.

While some Chinese-made components are great, not all attempts to offshore production to China are successful in terms of quality control, in spite of the best efforts of manufacturers. There are plenty of case studies of failed attempts to maintain quality. In some cases production has been shifted back out of China as a result of quality control problems. The lesson from years of experience is that shifting production to China is always a bit risky. From a quality standpoint it may work out great, but that is not always the case. You can't just assume that because a manufacturer tries to maintain the same standards that they will be successful. And by the way, while Apple has been a success story, their final products certainly are not "perfect". :)

Finally, it's not just about quality control. People have a variety of reasons for wanting to reduce their purchases of Chinese-made goods, including political reasons. I won't rehash all of these.

Doug

This is completely irrelevant with quality.Also first thing is that we are way offtopic and second this conversation can go really far away.Anyway,when a manufacturer decide to choose a Chinece to biuld a product for him,i think that gives the Chinese the specifications and the manufacturer tests the quality of the final product.If the product is within specs,goes to the costumer,if not goes back to the beginning.Many people think that the manufacturer only order the part and the Chinese are responsible for everything,they just execute orders,they don't have a word to anything.FAG hub bearings are top notch in aftermarket,no matter if they say made in Canada or made in Mexico or what ever.NSK bearings are also exceptional no matter if they say made in Japan or made in Poland or made in China(i've seen a NSK bearing with made in China print on it).

On the other hand i admit that there are many cases where some manufactures moved to China makers to reduce production cost and it can be seen on the final product.Although,those cases are the exception and not the rule.

Bottom line is this! I researched , chose Dolmar , sought out a Dolmar dealer, because I wanted a German made Dolmar saw. The saw was defective ,the dealer was not able to repair it , Makita was unable to repair it and now I have a Makita saw made in China. Just for the record if the Dolmar saw had been made in China I would not have purchased it!!!

As far as Chinese build quality compared to German build quality that remains to be seen!!

Latest posts

Back