Dolmar 5100 Cylinder Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schroedogg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I purchased one of those "screaming" Dolmar 5100's last summer after reading all the glowing reviews here and was really enjoying cutting with it - came from using an old Stihl 032 that's 30 years old but still running (even though it's starting to fall apart). I've actually only run about 5 - 10 tanks of gas through the Dolmar and last time I took it out, it just stopped running and wouldn't start again for anything. It acted like compression was lost (pulling the cord didn't have nearly as much resistance as it used to).

So I took it back to the dealer (they're great, by the way) and I can't remember the exact words he used but something to the effect of the cylinder had been scratched or etched or something like that (not cracked, though). They are going to have to replace the cylinder! He said this is the 2nd 5100 he's seen with this problem. He first thought it was because I was using lower octane gas and apologized for not educating their customers better but I'd read the manual and was using 91 octane (highest we can get around here) and the synthetic oil that he sold and said was a high quality. So he then concluded that perhaps they didn't get the cylinder cleaned out entirely when assembling but still looked a little troubled.

They're taking care of it for me but my question here is: was this most likely a fuel problem? It may be that the 91 octane I got was from a fuel pump that had 1 hose and so I was getting some 87 or 89 octane before the hose cleared. If that's the case, can that really ruin the cylinder?? I'm starting to wonder if I made a bad decision on the 5100. The stihl I was using had lasted 30 years and it didn't seem to matter what was put in it. But after light use of this Dolmar for 6 months it's already got a bad cylinder !!?? Is there anything else I can do when I get the saw back to avoid this problem happening again? I don't think the quality of our gas is that great around here and ethanol (which I avoid) seems to continue gaining market share. Or is it possible that it was just not assembled very well? If so, that sort of lowers my confidence in Dolmar -- what else wasn't assembled well that I'm going to find after the 1 year warranty runs out?

More than likely the saw was set too lean from the factory for your cutting conditions. Seems to be a somewhat common problem with this model. The best advice I could give would be to get the limiting caps off of the carb and richen it up a little.

Dolmars do run a little more compression than some others, but I doubt fuel octane was the cause of the problem. Scored cylinders tend to have more to do with improper carb settings, air leaks or lack of oil.

What is your oil mix?

be to get the limiting caps off of the carb and richen it up a little.

Is this something I can ask the dealer to do after they get the cylinder fixed?

What is your oil mix?

I believe it was 40:1, which was specified on the bottle. Also, the mix was no more than a month old. I usually only mix a gallon or so at a time and had mixed this sometime after the first of the year.

I have had almost every dolmar I sold (about 50 saws) come back with a scored piston and cylinder--- even the one I own that ran of 100ll av gas--pieces of crap in my opinion and dolmar would not even honer the warrantys!!!!

Dealers most times won't touch the limiter caps. EPA reasons.

IF you know your oil was good and mix was good, i'd be suspect that either the carb was set too lean (most likely)or it has an air leak.

I have had almost every dolmar I sold (about 50 saws) come back with a scored piston and cylinder

That's not good news :confused:

My dealer just now called me back (they have the saw fixed already). He said the only thing Dolmar is telling them is that alcohol content in the gas mixture can cause the scoring problem. But they tested the gas that was in the tank and said they couldn't find any alcohol content at all. He did say that when I first took the saw they left it set to run at factory settings which was fairly lean. This time he said they've set it to run pretty much as rich as possible given the limiter. Hmm.... Not sure what to do... If the thing is that sensitive, will the cylinder get scored again in another year or two even running rich? Thanks for the quick replies so far! I'm wondering if I should try selling this and getting a Stihl...

Ethanol in the mix will lean the mixture and if it picks up water from sitting it will lean even further.

If the saw is tuned to run with ethanol no problems as long as mix is fresh.

Get you self a tach and keep it tuned to the desired RPM. If the limiter caps prevent richening the mixture enough to be safe that is easy to fix.

I have had almost every dolmar I sold (about 50 saws) come back with a scored piston and cylinder

That's not good news :confused:

Don't sweat that comment. They're good saws. They are a high performance, high RPM saw. The EPA forces them to be set lean from the factory, and it's biting them in the butt. As soon as you get that saw back, pull those caps and set the carb a little richer.

I have to reset the limiter caps on all the saws sold, I set all 5100's at 13,500 and 7900's at 12,500 and tell the customer to bring the saw back for a free retach after 5 gallons have been run through it.

I have had almost every dolmar I sold (about 50 saws) come back with a scored piston and cylinder--- even the one I own that ran of 100ll av gas--pieces of crap in my opinion and dolmar would not even honer the warrantys!!!!

Calling Ultra Come in Ultra:agree2:

Sold 50 saws that scored up no waranty... There must be a price on his head by now.

Does your saw have the metal reinforcing ring liner for the intake boot? Without it the boot could flex and suck in air.

Do a search. It was a weakness in the original design.

The ring is a <5 minute job.

Last edited:
Calling Ultra Come in Ultra:agree2:

Booker Stop on over at My dealer ..There are two NE 346s dead on the shelf .. But that never happens to Huskys ...:cheers::cheers:

Out of the 11 that they sold 2 dead already ....Now Im really scared about the 2153 I own.......Hope my Jred is better than the Husky ..

Pics please!

Latest posts

Back